April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (fallschirmjaeger), 213 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know the Pedersoli Kodiak muzzleloading double rifle isn't remotely close to being in the same class as the doubles we all own and love. Nor am I recommending one because of all the bad press I've read about them. However...in spite of the bad press I bought a slightly used one a week or so ago in 50 cal. The previous owner had bought it new and fired 11 rounds down each barrel. After conversing with him it was very evident he knew precious little about muzzleloaders and even less about doubles.

I finally got to work with it this weekend and to my surprise and delight the rifle is going to regulate and shoot quite well from one rear sight. I won't have to use the two sight system Pedersoli has on the rifle, something I was loathe to do. Once regulated I'll switch to a more correct express sight if I can find one. I don't have the final load yet but I'm within spitting distance of it. I won't know for a while how well it's going to hold its regulation beyond 75 or 100 yards but all indications are it very well might.

I have been wanting a "knock around" double for some time and I've been shooting muzzleloaders for something close to 40 years so for the price this one seemed like a rifle to take a chance on. Granted, it's clubby, a mite heavy for the caliber, the checkering and wood suck, it handles like a worn out, 1954 Ford, 2 ton farm truck and it isn't all that elegant to look at....(wonder why I kinda like the darn thing...lol). But I won't have to concern myself with beating up a $6000.00 rifle either. If I drop the thing down a bluff....God forbid that for any rifle...I'll only be out 5 C notes!!

Has anyone else worked with the Kodiak and if so, your opinion and results?

Last edited by sharps4590; 05/17/12 04:46 PM.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got my old camera working. Here's a picture of the beast.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

What are you shooting? I have one in .50 also. It's 1:48 twist. Not quite slow enough for a PRB but not quite fast enough for a conical.

I haven't been able to work on a regulation load yet but will one day.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My first load was a PRB and out to 50 yards the accuracy was quite good with 90 grs. of Ffg. but it crossed a lot, 3 1/2-4 in. at 50 yards. I'm now working with a 380 gr. Lyman Maxi-Ball type conical but it seems just a bit too slow although accuracy from the individual barrels is more than adequate, a little less or a little more than 2 in. at 50 yards...depending on how well I'm seeing that day. I'm thinking something around 300 grs. might do the trick.

I'm just about certain a PRB load could be found but I'm afraid that for what I want it would be too light a charge. 'Course, the rifle may eventually force me to do what it wants anyway...lol!

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sharps - Go to the Pedersoli website. Among the accessories they sell is a single sight system. It's less than a hundred bucks and is the way to go.

I got the big one, .72 calibre. I've only shot it a few times, but damn! it's a fun gun! Don't have a regulated load yet but have absolutely no fear that I'll be able to load a good one once I put my mind down to it.

Have fun, and GET THAT SIGHT! You'll really love it. - Marc

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Marc!! I was completely unaware Pedersoli offered a replacement sight. I'll do that once I finish load development.

I wanted a 58, would have preferred the 72 over the 50 but for the money I'll take this 50. Once I get it runnin' the way I want I may have to be in the market for a 72 just cuz!!!

Vic

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't know they offered one either. Thanks

I was looking for a .72 when I found mine also. But I got mine for a good enough price that I went ahead with it. Eventually I'm going to build a 12 Bore double rifle. I've been on the look out for barrels for a long time. Finally came up with a pair a month or so ago.

I agree about the PRB maybe not using enough charge when regulated. I have 4 boxes of the Hornady Great Plains I hope I can get it regulated with.

I'm sure that with enough work it could be made to work acceptably with most anything. I just don't know if I have that much free time to invest. lol

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shane, what's the weight on that Hornady? After the couple of sessions I've had with my rifle I'm pretty confident in being able to find a good load.

The 12 bore, are you going with full rifled barrels or a Paradox or Explora?

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels I found were full rifled. 1:68 IIRC. I had been on the look out for a pair for a very long time. SO when I saw a pair of brand new, unprofiled blanks come up I had to go ahead and snap them up. If I'm honest with myself probably won't even be able to start on this gun til middle of next year. However, I am REALLY looking fwd to using it!

The ball is a .45. I LOVE IT. hahaha

Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi, I am shooting a modified Kodiak since 1987 and have killed 2 Black Bears, many hogs and some roe deer with it. The Standard Kodiak Express comes in the following calibers: .50; .54; .58. No matter what caliber you choose, the outside dimensions of the barrels will be the same as Pedersoli usese the same stock for all rhee calibers. This means that the .58 cal. has less weight than the .50. Actually it should be the other way round. When I bought this double rifle I decided to take the .54 which is my favourite caliber. At that time Pedersoli produced all three versions with a twist of 1:48. In my rifle I´m shooting the 460 grain Buffalo Bullet Conical with 100gr. Swiss ffg. Accuracy up to 75 yards is top and the muzzle velocity is 1558fps. This is enough for big game like moose, bears and most of the African antelops if I limit my shooting distance to 75 yards,maximum. Today the .50 and .54 cal. barrels of the Kodiak Express come with a 1:24 twist. This is much better for longer conicals and I would now recommend the .50 cal. as there is a huge assortment as far as bullets are concerned. And the .50 cal. weighs a little more which is good for to reduce the recoil. I would only recommend pure lead conicals such as those from Parker. The .58 caliber still has the 1:48 twist which is to fast for round balls and to slow for conicals. Pedersoli should give the .58 barrels a twist of 90-100" which would be ideal for round balls. The Kodik Africa Express in cal. .72 (12 Bore)is a faulty design, too. The twist is 1:72". This is by far to slow for the lead sphere. 104" or even slower would be ideal to be able to shoot heavy loads and to reach high muzzle velocities to make the round ball a potent game killer. As for the replacement sight, this is one from Truglo. I tested it in the field during driven hunts. For short distance or quick shots or hunting when it is almost dark this sight is OK. However, the front sight is very sensitive and my fibre broke on the first day when I was hunting. I prefer my express sight which is tough, allows precise shooting and has survived 4 wilderness hunts in the boreal forests of Canada.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.