March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6687 12/20/04 11:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After doing a lot of thinking about this 12 bore stuff, I put some time in hunting with my .58 flint for the past few days.
Luck payed off, and I managed to take a good sized doe this afternoon(about 115') at 130+ yds. The ball cleared the deer (2x lung) and as far as I know is still going. The gun had an extra leaf, so the shot wasn't that tough.
After seeing the terminal end of this (albeit not in a tough area) I can only imagine that with those larger size round balls, one could cover most game while giving a flatter trajectory than a conical.
This sounds like a silly question, but what exactly does a conical do in the bigger bores that a round ball doesn't? (I'm talking .60 +)
Not rifles like a 600nitro that can actually build up some serious velocity, but the 4,8,12, and 20's. I know there are other things like the Fauneta(sp), but I mean with the Forsbury(sp again) type projectile.

Cheers

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny

I'm with you, Tom. If you're not going after elephant like Selous, what's the purpose of shooting 1,000 grains of lead, other than to pay a bunch of money to see what it feels like to get kicked to death. :rolleyes: Anyhow, if memory serves, Selous used hardened round balls in his early elephant hunting days with 8 and 10 gauge rifles.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.