March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an interesting project I started that is giving me fits. I bought a 28 gauge rolling block shotgun and had it shipped directly to my gunsmith to be rifled to 1:66 He has done this with a 20 gauge for me once before with good results. The problem is the chamber. The base mics out at .660. 24 gauge brass is .658 at base. The chamber cast at the rifling is .645. The 24 gauge brass is close. but the brass will not chamber. I took a case and pounded it into the chamber until about .5 inch protruded. That is as far as it got. Knocked it out with a long dowel and the mouth of the case had shrunk to about .640. Maybe he cast has expanded since I made it. Still, about an hour with emory cloth and split dowel made no noticeable difference. How much do you think a smith would charge to polish this chamber out to take the brass. I suspect 28 gauge cases would be too smallm but do not have dimensions of either commercial plastic or Magtech brass cases. Can anyone provide those? Tanks!

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A few more details would help. Ball, bore and groove dimensions as well as case diameter and wall thickness. Sounds like you need a custom reamer.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Using Magtech brass 24 gauge. Base is .658, case mouth OD is .645. Wall thickness is .015. Chamber has no throat: Just goes right to the rifling. Cases need to be shortened about .25, as ball will be seated in case about halfway. Bore has 7 and 7, so is hard to gauge. I estimate about .564-68 in grooves. I have some .562 roundballs to start off with. Just hope to get consistent <6" at 50 yards with the fixed sights for close range woods gun. Seems I really just need maybe 5 or so 1000ths polished out to work. I could wrap 28 ga brass with copper tape, but a bit leery of this, although I have done it for oddball rifle chambers.

Last edited by Rudybollo; 02/22/18 05:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rudybollo,
I don't think you have a 28 ga . I think it is likely a 577 0r 58 cal rifle. I suggest you check dimensions of rifle cases, such as 577 Snider.( I haven't checked so can't offer solution). I would only alter the gun at last resort.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it's a 28ga chamber and bore, you can follow this link and scroll down to page 24.
It'll give you the specs for both the chamber & the bore for the 28ga. See what your's is in comparison.
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/209.pdf

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a bit confused. You said this gun was a rolling block originally barreled as a 28 ga. shotgun. All you said you had your gunsmith do was to rifle the barrel. But you are attempting to chamber 24 ga. brass cases. Did he also ream the chamber out to 24 ga.?

I think I'd start by remelting your chamber cast and getting accurate measurements after the specified time for expansion of the cast. You could probably upset or expand the .562" round balls you have enough to push them through the bore to get an accurate bore and groove diameter.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Gun was listed as 28 gauge. Its bore seems to bear this out. Its chamber, however, is over large for a 28 gauge and at its head the chamber cast mics out around .660 every time. Now you must understand the evolution of these guns. The started out as Swedish military M67 rolling block muskets in approx. 50 caliber with tapered 37" barrels. When they entered civilian service, gunsmiths did all kinds of things to them, from building beautiful sporters with new wood and barrels on the actions, to cutting them down and boring them out to shotguns. They were not always very exacting in their rechambering. This example has original musket barrel cut down to 28". Plenty of meat to first bore to 28 gauge and then for my smith to rifle. I have no idea what the base dimensions of a late 19th century 28 gauge case would be. I do not have any modern brass or plastic cases to measure. I was hoping for some input on that here on both. But with a modern 24 gauge brass case being .658 and the chamber at breech measuring .660, I would imagine a lot of slop for a 28 gauge. I mess around with lots of rolling blocks from Sweden in lots of oddball chamberings. So this one has me a bit stumped as to best course of action. I just need someone to polish a few 1000ths of an inch out of the chamber. Gun has "0" collector value and I did not pay much for it as a project.

Last edited by Rudybollo; 02/19/18 01:08 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Rudybollo,
I don't think you have a 28 ga . I think it is likely a 577 0r 58 cal rifle. I suggest you check dimensions of rifle cases, such as 577 Snider.( I haven't checked so can't offer solution). I would only alter the gun at last resort.
Mike

Mike:
It was a rifle to begin with. It was a former 12.7mm bored out to 28 gauge. I had it rifled, because this is the weird kind of stuff I do. A little extra effort will make an interesting "gauge gun."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rudybollo,
I think I missed that your gunsmith rifled your barrel. Some of these rolling blocks were produced with rifled barrels and were marketed here as 28 ga. I use 8x50R Lebel cases in my 12.7x42( Belgian Cape gun), but they are too small for your gun( they are listed as .536"). The 577 snider is listed in the often mistaken COTW as .660" head diameter, and .577-450 as .668". Rifle cases will be thick enough to allow a little reduction in diameter by turning, or swaging. BTY, I don't think is weird.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike:
I had the 24 gauge cases for making rounds for a Snider I used to have. If I had a way to swag the 24 gauge cases down, I could then fireform them. But I have not tumbled to a way to do that yet with what I have laying around the shop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.