Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would like to start a discussion on the use of CA and similar products as a crack sealer and wood stabilizer for fore-end and stock wood, especially in the stock head and inletting. I have read many different opinions on this forum and others. Are these merely opinions or is there some factual information to be had on this topic?

Sidelock
Sidelock

LetFly?

What do you consider factual information? I have used it a lot on both gunstocks and woodworking projects of many types. It is widely used but woodsmiths all over the world.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LetFly Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BrentD, not sure. Some recommend using it liberally to coat the inside wood as well as glueing up splits and cracks, others do care for this use. I have used it on really tight cracks where opening the crack to get a deeper glue (Titebond) would only make the separation worse. I guess I am mostly interested in this idea of using it as a coating on all of the inlet surfaces.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Letfly, I have used it in that capacity. It will definitely seal the wood very well. No question about that. It does harden the wood somewhat. Make up a few test blocks from scrap wood and hammer on them or test them yourself. It doesn't do much of anything really for bedding purposes. If you want to help the wood absorb recoil, for instance, then epoxy used as bedding spreads the force of impact out much more evenly and that doesn't make the wood so much stronger as it does just makes all of the wood share the load vs, having just the minute high spots carry the load. If your inletting is perfect, then the gain from epoxy bedding would be minimal and related mostly to preventing oil/moisture accumulation. But no inletting is truly that perfect or likely to stay perfect.

I like CA much better than an oil based wood finish for sealing the interior. I don't do it all the time, but I have used it for that purpose and it has done the job admirably and continues to do so.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

BTW, there are other products to consider. One is MinWax's Wood Hardener. It uses a VERY nasty solvent so use in a ventilated location. It will dissolve things like foam brushes pretty well too. This is great for coating the insides and it penetrates like CA. Again, no bedding advantage,. but for a gun that will see wet and ugly, it will do a great job.

Your best bet is to try some of these on scraps of wood with inlets in them so you can get used to handling the materials and avoid issues like puddling or whatever. Then soak them with oils, water, try crushing a few, and cut them apart to see how the material has performed at the various tasks you want it to do.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last of all, and I do not do this, but it works well, is heated epoxy sealing. That can soak into the wood very well. Some West Coast/rainforest big game hunters use this for an entire gun finish - not my cuppa, but done right, it will make your gun more impervious to the elements than anything - but it's not quite your standard English, hand rubbed finish either.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

The late gunmaker Paul Dressel used CA for the inside as well as outside finish on all his stocks.

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago when I was shooting a lot and hanging out with the Camp Perry crowd, One of the tricks was to thin glass bedding compound or marine grade resin with acetone; this allowed it to penetrate the wood, providing a very good moisture barrier and greatly help stabilize the wood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think its used pretty regularly for spot stabilizing, primarily to minimize drying checks from forming. Quality light viscosity CA might be used generally over an area, but you may notice it wick more effectively into end grain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
I think its used pretty regularly for spot stabilizing, primarily to minimize drying checks from forming. Quality light viscosity CA might be used generally over an area, but you may notice it wick more effectively into end grain.

For that and smaller bark inclusions and cracks it is great. It comes in different viscosities. For situations where their is some filling required, the thin first to get way down in there and seal the crack and then the thick stuff to fill. Filling may require several applications, but that sort of work is pretty darn rare in gunstocks. Not so uncommon in other woodworking projects where crack, splalting, knots and inclusions can be features.

_________

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.