April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, LGF), 1,081 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,135
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#515347 06/06/18 08:19 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

These pre-1912 guns typically lack the "Nitro" proof stamp that later models were required to have under German law. I doubt a 1910 made gun was much weaker than the same gun made in 1913, but I could be wrong. Would a pre-1912 gun in good condition with tight lock up and steel barrels require very low pressure BP-like ammunition? Or would most (not super high pressure) 2.5" ammunition be acceptable to fire in a gun of this vintage? I would be talking about any 2.5" shell from RST, Polywad, but also possibly up to the 2.5" offerings from Kent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually if a longarm was slated for export & the country of import did not have a proof law on the books, the maker could opt out of the Nitro proof effort and save a few Pfenning. I know this applied to the pre-1912 voluntary proof for semi-smokeless & I believe it extended to the post 1912 rules change.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Raimey...

One of the guns I'm looking at, actually has the patent numbers stamped on the tubes, so I'm guessing they were made sometime right after the turn of the century or possibly before.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, early on all the tube makers were frightened so they sent the individual tubes in for a failure test as they were fully responsible for the whole lot. After the initial hurdles were overcome, the tube makers would send joined tubes and finally the makers would submit an longarm in the final state. Confidence in the steel components, which were instep w/ the powder development, was high.

The numbers are just for the joining process. Is the tube steel Krupp?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Serial number will narrow the date range.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

My understanding of this is that "Nitro" proof was optional in Germany prior to 1912. Also I understand there was a very good reason many pre 1912 guns were not Nitro Proofed.

German proof law at that point was not based on "Pressure" per se but on a percentage of Overload. Thus if a black powder proof called for a double charge of powder then Smokeless did the same. A double charge of Schultz or Balistite created a far greater increase of pressure than did Black, gunmakers knew this & were reluctant to have their guns nitro Proofed.

Those who did submit their guns for Nitro Proof often specified a very light service load to try to circumvent the Law as written. New rules of proof were written for the 1912 act & Nitro Proof became obligatory.

I have a circa 1900 J P SAuer & Son / V L & D Knock-About sidelock. This is approximately a 7½ lp gun with the extractor marked 70 for 2 3/4" shells. It carries full Black Powder proofs but No Nitro. It is currently missing its forearm so get's no use. I suspect over the years it has been fed a many regular "US" 2 3/4" shell. Even though it has NO built in wear compensation it is still tight on face & bolts solidly. It is double underbolted with an unbolted Doll's Head. Top lever always has & will continue to Stop at center.

I would have no qualms whatsoever of feeding it up to 3¼-1¼ loads & while I have no way of proving it I highly suspect it has devoured a good many
3 3/4-1¼ loads in the past.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll have to do some diggin', but I'm not sure the post 1912 rules required the Nitro be obligatory, but I could easily be wrong. I seem to recall Daly opting out on some post 1912 examples as it warranted an extra fee.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Krupp steel indeed. Five digit serial number starting with 6. Doll's head rib extension.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns of that age should have the proof load or at least the service load marked. The type powder would be included in the marking, but might be hard to ID, because optional powders were allowed. A gun could be intended for nitro powder with out "NITRO" mark.

Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
My understanding of this is that "Nitro" proof was optional in Germany prior to 1912. Also I understand there was a very good reason many pre 1912 guns were not Nitro Proofed.

German proof law at that point was not based on "Pressure" per se but on a percentage of Overload. Thus if a black powder proof called for a double charge of powder then Smokeless did the same. A double charge of Schultz or Balistite created a far greater increase of pressure than did Black, gunmakers knew this & were reluctant to have their guns nitro Proofed.

Those who did submit their guns for Nitro Proof often specified a very light service load to try to circumvent the Law as written. New rules of proof were written for the 1912 act & Nitro Proof became obligatory.

I have a circa 1900 J P SAuer & Son / V L & D Knock-About sidelock. This is approximately a 7½ lp gun with the extractor marked 70 for 2 3/4" shells. It carries full Black Powder proofs but No Nitro. It is currently missing its forearm so get's no use. I suspect over the years it has been fed a many regular "US" 2 3/4" shell. Even though it has NO built in wear compensation it is still tight on face & bolts solidly. It is double underbolted with an unbolted Doll's Head. Top lever always has & will continue to Stop at center.

I would have no qualms whatsoever of feeding it up to 3¼-1¼ loads & while I have no way of proving it I highly suspect it has devoured a good many
3 3/4-1¼ loads in the past.

Thanks Miller. So you have a positive outlook on the early Sauers? Anyone else have any opinions on the turn of the century guns made by Sauer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.