March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (gasgunner, SKB, ChiefAmungum, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 307 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#87134 03/10/08 12:43 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen, just returned from a local gunshow with a serious waterfowl gun by the Pittsburgh Fire Arms Co. that is obviously built by Westley Richards. It is a heavy 10 BLE with 34" damascus barrels and weighs just under 11 lbs. Great wood, good bores, full choke,barrels need browning and the woodwork a little cleanup but
this brute is going to go back to work!! Don't know anything about
the Pittsburgh Fire Arms Co. Any source of info out there?? Terry

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe it was a brand name used on shotguns marketted by J.H. Johnson's Great Western Gun Works in Pittsburgh 110 years ago or so.

Last edited by Researcher; 03/10/08 01:26 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The British proof marks are pre-1887 and it appears to be chambered and bored for the 2 7/8" thin brass case. I'm guessing circa 1885.
Typical Westley toplever and sliding bolt into a dolls head.
Serial # 22x .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pittsburgh Firearms company,
68 5th Avenue,
Pittsburgh,Pa
Some references show the company was in business 1860-70,s.
One known example was an imported English, 10 G. hammer marked on the rib, "Anson & Deely", this indicates they were in business well after 1875.I would agree, the likely manufacturer of your gun was W.R.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Pittsburgh Firearms Co. gun was made by Westley Richards and marketed as Pittsburgh Firearms Co. by J. Palmer O'Neil and Co. of Pittsburgh until late 1882. At that time O'Neil pictured the same gun in their ads, but it was marked Westley Richards. I suspect this had something to do with the sole U.S. rights for manufacturing the Anson and Deeley action being acquired by Harrington and Richardson.

Terry, are you sure the Pittsburgh 10 bore has ejectors ?

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/10/08 09:36 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry, are you saying the sliding bolt moves from the butt to the muzzle? My Harrington Richardson dosent lock into the dolls head extension at all. I have two early Westley Richards droplocks and one of them(8XXX) has a sliding bolt top lever where the bolt slides back and forth, butt to muzzle, and can be functioned by moving the lever right or left. The other Westley Richards(T3XXX) droplock has a conventional rotary lever and bolt that locks into the dolls head. Ross

Last edited by reb87; 03/10/08 12:44 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Harrington and Richards also imported Westley Richards Shotguns and marketed them under their own name. I have had a couple and they are pure WR.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stallones, There is a write up history on Harrington Richardson, in the Field and Stream of around 1908. In it they tell of workmen coming over from England to help set up the production of the Anson and Deeley gun in the U.S. on the second floor of the H and R factory. I think the agreement with Westley Richards was that Harrington Richardson had the "exclusive" rights to produce that gun in the U.S. They even sent "Mr. Anson" over here to help get things started. From all of the written information and looking at these guns, I think they were made in the U.S. I do agree that they look like they could have been of English make.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Harrington Richardson went through massive growth in their operations at the turn of the century. They expanded their factory at least 3 times in about 5 years.
They had some very popular single barrel shotguns and revolvers. I know they were marketing the revolvers in Belgium and Italy about this time.

I did not know about the English connections. Always something to learn here.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry for the delay in reply,a friend and I were in pursuit of the wily snow goose this morning as it was the last day of our Spring season.Six of them paid the price so it was a good finish to another season.
Daryl, it is an ejector and they appear to be working fine although
not overly powerful, must be an early patent.
reb, it does have the usual wide Westley toplever with a sliding bolt,butt to muzzle, that fits into a recess in the dolls head.
It certainly appears to be British built and proofed. I will try and take some pics later tonight and post.
BTW,I got the serial number wrong, it is # 299 and the water table is stamped Anson & Deeley Patent 7560
Terry

Last edited by Terry Lubzinski; 03/10/08 09:50 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.