April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (obsessed-with-doubles), 205 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#87443 03/11/08 09:01 PM
Will S. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What company would you recommend to duplicate a stock? I used Wenig's a couple of years ago and found them adequate, but I'd appreciate some input from this board and individual preferences. Thanks.
Will

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wenig's can do a fine job and they get it done in a reasonable time frame at a decent price. Why go shopping? If they did what you want go back to them. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Some of that green is mold.

Be careful of GreatAmerican as other have had less than happy results with them over they years. Might all be in the past but I will not give them a chance. One bad stock job is one too many when you are suppling the wood and have very little recourse if it goes wrong.

KY Jon #87493 03/11/08 11:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I should write an article on this. There are many folks who copy, many grades of quality, and many different prices for doing the same work. For example, Richard's Microfit charges $65 or maybe a bit more since I haven't checked in a long time. They use 8 gang copy machines so usually won't due rare, one of a kind, things. The quality is adequate but not near what someone with a Hoenig machine can do. However, the Hoenig work costs a good deal more. John Vest charges about $270 for a rifle copy and others charge up to $450 for the same work. Not much left to do at this rate. Some folks will even fit your metal to your wood, but it is either very expensive or will take a long time as they are backlogged. Agree about Great American.

Pete #87505 03/12/08 06:11 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You might want to talk with Donnie Gemes at Show Me Gunstocks. 660-438-4568 . Donnie and his brother do some very nice work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wenig has always done a fine job for me.

HackCW #87523 03/12/08 08:37 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree about Wenig and Show Me Gunstocks. I have used both. When Wenig says it will be done, they mean it. Donnie is good people and goes the extra step.

KY Jon at least you got a stock back for you money. They didn't do the work and then wanted to charge me storage!

Pete, write the article.

Pete

PeteM #87609 03/12/08 09:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM

I bought my own machine to duplicate stocks. I got so tired of waiting for work to be done, having people tell me that the work would be done weeks before they got around to the job and got so tired of having poor work done that I spent several thousand dollars on a duplicating machine. Then I altered the machine to make it more flexible like a Hoenig is in the axis that it works in and beefed up the machine to make vibration less of a problem. I figure that after I do my 20 or 30 stock that I should be able to sell the machine and get my money back out of it. Plus I save a ton on shipping.

Before anyone ask I am not going into the business of doing work for others. I have more work to do for myself than I every have time to get done. Plus if I screw up a nice blank then I will just have to scream at myself. And I am sure that I will screw up a few. So far I am three for three but they have been very easy cases. A Lefever straight grip is next and that will be just a little bit harder. In fact I am making a second copier to deal with for-ends. They are more of a pain in the butt stock if you ask me and I see a way to make them much easier than on the large machine.

KY Jon #87619 03/13/08 12:22 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

More power to you my friend. It has always been said "if you want something done right, do it yourself". Best wishes in your adventure.
Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

A so called buddy of mine stopped at my place on the way home from a Pittsburgh auction of a wood shop in a vo-tech schoollast fall. Said he saw a CNC pantograph that was in new cond. sell for $60. Said also he didn't realize what it was till after it sold and no one else including the buyer knew either, as he merely tore off the router head and gave the rest away to another guy to scrap. Good buddy realized what it was when the scrapper pulled the factory manual out of the cabinet and threw it away. Did he offer to buy the machine sans router from the scrapper? Noooo. Enough to make a guy start drinking. I am working on building a duplicator that is a adaptation of a few I've seen. Got a ways to go so I don't know how well it will work, but I'd sure be interested in KYJon's mini duplicator idea unless it's something you're going to patent.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.