August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, Walter C. Snyder, 82nd Trooper, SKB, Herschel, 1 invisible), 117 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,916
Posts504,925
Members14,052
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: History of early grip safety RichardBrewster 08/01/21 02:47 PM
Lovely gun. Thanks for posting. 14 1/2" LOP is nice for a gun of the period. I can't see anything at all to complain about except my lack of funds to buy it immediately!
30 865 Read More
Re: Cogswell & Harrison boxlock 12 gauge boon hogganbeck 08/01/21 02:45 PM
You guys are good. I'm learning a lot. Thank you for taking the time. Yes, for me, this would certainly be a knockabout-in-the-woods grouse gun. It does come to my shoulder nicely and feels right. Well, an acquaintance of mine has gauges to measure thickness & choke, but he's out of town for a couple weeks. If it's still on the shelf when he returns, I'll take a look, and, if all seems right, maybe I'll throw out a lower number & see.
15 499 Read More
Re: Sykes’ Patent shot belt Parabola 08/01/21 02:38 PM
https://imgur.com/a/gbQzsAh

Hi,

I have just signed up to imgur so if the above photo does not show 4 shot flasks blame them not me.

Thank you to everyone who helped with photos to help me with my question about how a Sykes patent shot flask operates.

I now know the answer as I stuck in a “cheeky bid”, £2 over bottom estimate at the last Holts sale and it won!

The one on the left is a modern repro , the middle 2 are Sykes patent, and the right hand one is unnamed and the odd one out.

The Sykes (and copy) have a shot measure with a slanted leading edge like a coal scoop.

When pushed into the flask, it slides under the bottom of the shutter forcing it upwards against the spring so that the shutter raises allowing shot to fill the measure.

When the thumb catch is depressed and the measure withdrawn the shutter descends to retain the rest of the shot in the flask.

The 2 genuine Sykes flasks are Adjustable 1 1/2, 1 3/4 and 2 oz.

That is achieved by an inner sleeve withdrawn by the button under the thumb catch, the inner sleeve is rotated slightly to disengage a stud from the 1 1/2 setting (much like an adjustable powder flask) withdrawn and reset to the quantity desired.

The odd one on the right is marked 1 1/2 and has no retaining shutter.

The measure has a squared off end with a slight scallop on one side.

Presumably the measure is withdrawn with the flask held upright, and the the lip of the flask held against the scallop to carefully decant enough shot .
4 341 Read More
Re: Parker shotgun with side clips? gunut 08/01/21 01:49 PM
so then the Invincible is the "Best" grade Parker gun....the other grades are just also rans.....price point guns....some are lip sticked up quite a bit...but they are what they are..??..

Im more of a Fox gun person....but they admitted that the only real difference between the sterlingworth and the high grades was lipstick.....
16 501 Read More
Re: Fox Safety Interchangeability Parabola 08/01/21 12:42 PM
Temporary fix that also preserves originality would be to build up top of safety slide with epoxy putty to form a ramp for your thumb to push against.

It should break away fairly easily if you want to get rid of it.

Mind you don’t get any under the safety!

I have used it to build up, filing it to shape and right height, then painting Matt black, to raise the military barleycorn front sights of a couple of Martini carbines that shot very high at 100 yards.
3 132 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: WTB - December 2015 Double Gun Journal oohay 08/01/21 12:41 PM
Hello Buckstix , The Magazine you are looking for is listed in the back of my latest DGJ as available , Winter 2015 for 15.00 plus shipping ! The contact for the DGJ is { 1-800-447-1658 } ,Hope this helps ,I have the entire set but don't have any extra magazines to pass on ! OOhay
2 91 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: wood charcoal for case color mc 08/01/21 12:43 AM
You can soak charcoal briquettes and crush them and dry them some people don't use bone charcoal at all but your mileage may vary good luck
3 97 Read More
Re: Sauer side locks bushveld 07/31/21 10:22 PM
Mark;

I do not know if it is a rebounding or not, but viewing the 4th gun photo from the top of the article (the photo with Hendrik Fruhauf's name) I am impressed at what a beautiful lock it is and the superb craftsmanship. Also look how beautiful the color case hardening is. Of course, the Germans have always been at the top of the engineering disciplines.

Further in regard to your thoughts on if it is a rebounding lock, you will notice in this photo that the bottom of the tumbler is 2 mm away from touching the bridle---causing one to consider such.
8 305 Read More
Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold Lloyd3 07/31/21 09:56 PM
Neither, 440.
42 1,190 Read More
Re: Blaser F3 $5200 gunmaker 07/31/21 09:35 PM
Up
1 173 Read More
Re: Belgian Maker? vam5067 07/31/21 09:09 PM
Thanks for all your effort and insights gentlemen.

Vince
22 242 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: How to tighten loose barrels Der Ami 07/31/21 07:00 PM
My German Gunsmith friend, Walter Grass replaced the hinge pin and refit the barrels for a permanent repair; but when a customer insisted, I have also watched him perform a temporary repair. His first step was to expand the hinge pin. He did this by taking both caps off and locking a correctly sized punch in the vise( to act as an anvil), then with help to hold the action, he expanded the pin using another punch and heavy hammer on the other end of the pin. He also peened the locking lug on the barrel with a flat faced punch working on the slanted rear face of the lug. Depending on condition, he would close the frame on the sides of the lugs. He did this by locking the frame in the vise( smooth jaws) and "shocking" it by hitting the fixed jaw with the heavy hammer. The most important part of this process is years of experience. It is not a long lasting repair and the customer must understand and agree that the process might damage the gun. I only watched this on drillings and other parts of the repairs do not apply to double barrel shot guns( tightening loose claw mounts). I forgot, he also stretched the forearm "iron" by peening it on the underside( hidden in the wood) with a punch that looked very much like a cold chisel that had been rounded and polished smooth.
Mike
16 300 Read More
Re: H&H , ME LIKE Toby Barclay 07/31/21 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Nitrah
It was interesting to see how H&H self-opener works so well when opening and closing the action, as compared to just when opening.

I would argue this point. I have yet to see a H&H so called self opener, self open after firing both barrels. The assisted mechanism works when the gun isn't fired but not afterwards. The Purdey system works all the time and once you get the knack of closing it isn't all that difficult.

I'm not sure what self-opening H&H you have inspected but the normal self-opening H&H works totally independently of the fired state of either lock. It is a compressor under the forend which operates at full strength regardless of the state of either lock. I think you are confusing the H&H self-opener with the 'assisted opener' of C&H, normal Boss and Baker '12/20' patent among others.
23 1,591 Read More
Re: Eye dominance after surgery Joe Wood 07/31/21 06:58 PM
We are all really screwed up! I too am left eye dominant but shoot right handed. When I grew up it was almost forbidden to do anything left handed and I even had school teachers paddle my left hand when I picked up a pen with the left. Well, they only halfway succeeded, now I’m very ambidextrous except shooting a rifle or shotgun. Pistols are either hand—doesn’t make me any difference (I’ll miss with either). My right eye learned a long time ago to take over with a longarm and I have no problem. Weird!
8 266 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: New Daly(Sauer drilling) need help with caliber Der Ami 07/31/21 06:31 PM
We can determine the cartridge the drilling is chambered for, if you provide a chamber cast and "slug" the bore. Neither the serial number and none of the pre- proofmark markings will help in this regard.
Mike
14 115 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: A fact about AA 5744 Der Ami 07/31/21 06:24 PM
I use it a good bit in old cartridges. Just be careful ( as with any powder) and remember what you can lose trying to get an extra 100 fps you don't need.
Mike
5 203 Read More
Re: 2021 Dove Season countdown timer lonesome roads 07/31/21 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
How do you grill an egg ?

Take it out of its protective carton and place precariously close to the edge of a table and start screaming at it…

Westley Richards 100th 0.577"-3" NE DR ellenbr 07/31/21 02:20 PM
Anyone notice in the Spring Edition of Westley Richards' Catalogue that they had completed the 100th example of the 0.577" - 3" Nitro Express being >>The rifle is one of Westley Richards signature best quality hand detachable lock models, with extra hand detachable locks, model C dolls head fastener, snap action lever work and patent single selective trigger.<< The elaborate adornment was by Italian mechanic Dario Cortini...

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
0 34 Read More
Re: beat the coming price increase ed good 07/31/21 01:13 PM
yeah, ah suppose that could be done....but, what if it aint just about how it looks...notice the ebony inlays are set crossed grained to the stock wood...maybe they are serving some reinforcing purpose...an what if ihey are one piece of solid wood...best not to mess with it...

besides, i like the contrasting wood look...an its ok that you dont...
7 439 Read More
Re: Fox Parts L. Brown 07/31/21 10:17 AM
I have an A Grade that suffered a barrel failure before I bought it. The fix included fitting a set of 30" barrels from Pumpkin Mountain plus a nice job of restocking. It's a real joy to shoot targets with that gun.
2 232 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: H&H long 380 CF help needed Vall 07/30/21 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Thank you for this link.
I am now in search of some long colt brass. I know I can also use shortened 38 Special brass but would like to find 50 38 Long Colt.

Before trying to find .38 Long Colt, you should be sure of your chamber dimensions, as the .38 Long colt may be slightly smaller. Much cheaper and easier to trim .38 Special cases for making up your loads. And if you do much reloading at all a case length trimmer is a must have to ensure all cases are the same correct length.
20 1,445 Read More
Re: Beretta Parallelo 486, 28 ga, frame size Bluestem 07/30/21 07:25 PM
An email to Rich Cole will likely get you the answer.
1 179 Read More
Re: one or two makers? LeFusil 07/30/21 05:26 PM
I have never seen a picture of any H&H Dominions being “built or finished” in any of the H&H books, some people I know who’ve worked at the H&H factory can’t ever recall seeing one being built there or heard of former workmen that built or specialized in the production of the Dominion model or the Triplex type models.
If any of you have pictures of unfinished or raw Dominions or triplexes being built anywhere besides Scott’s, I’d sure like to see them! That would be great! Thanks.
4 380 Read More
Re: Leg o Mutton case. Tyler 07/30/21 04:25 PM
Hate I missed it. Had trouble logging in. Mine LOM cases are either worn out or look "too" new. This one would have been perfect!
13 453 Read More
Re: Black Powder 12 gauge slug loads Paradox 07/30/21 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Researcher
In the 1911-12 Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. catalog under the NEW CLUB (their black powder shells) they offer 10-, 12-, 16- & 20-gauge Single Ball loads. The 12-gauge was a 1 ounce lead ball pushed by 3 1/4 drams of powder.

Would loading a conical slug present any more challenges than using a round ball?
8 156 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2021 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.