April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (fab500, MattH, canvasback), 492 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,091
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Lloyd3 04/24/24 06:47 PM
Keith:

If the people who hold it weren't idiots I'd probably be more tempted. It's age is obvious and yet they still require a background check and a 3-day wait. Maddening...
43 2,034 Read More
Re: Update Jimmy W 04/24/24 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
Hey, Brent, we’re four months into the new year. How’s Gus’s recovery coming along?

Gus is holding his own. No one really recovers from oral nonpigmented melanoma, but he is doing far better than expected by the vet. He is enjoying the spring, and we are taking everything one day at a time.

Thanks for asking

Take care of that pup. I know how wonderful a good dog is to have. 😊
8 475 Read More
Re: Update Jimmy W 04/24/24 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
Yes, 67galaxie got flooded in the August 30th hurricane and again a coupla weeks ago from what might have been a tornado. All dried out now, but he trembles when he hears thunder.

On the other hand he and I have been hunting turkeys several mornings a week since the GA season came in on April Fool's Day (fitting date to open a turkey season!). Galaxie scored this morning on a nice longbeard with his 8ga. English double...Geo

I go through there about 8 times a year. He told me to stop in and eat at his place, but I usually have my dog with me and am in a hurry and we fly right by. Maybe one day......... I always notice all the football state championships on the high school stadium when I go by. You guys take care down there.
8 475 Read More
Re: F Dumoulin & Cie Liege 20 gauge Drew Hause 04/24/24 05:15 PM
The pics we need are full size high resolution of the action, any marks on the rib, the action flats, and the barrel flats and just forward of the flats
https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/belgian-shotgun-identification-guide.232252/

If we can establish the DOM there are lots of A&F catalog repros available from Cornell Pubs
https://cornellpubs.com/shop/
12 236 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Ithaca Crass Grade 3 ClapperZapper 04/24/24 05:12 PM
Replacement stock? Mine has an Ithaca buttplate.
Maybe the inletting needs some relief.
3 position safety out of adjustment?

I think it’s been apart, and maybe is just poorly reassembled.

Beautiful gun, but I don’t need another Crass.
3 98 Read More
Re: Improve Beretta Xtra Wood Finish AGS 04/24/24 05:08 PM
No idea about the autos and XtraGrain, but all the XtraWood O/U's I have ever seen had a different Grip cap that identified them.
9 441 Read More
Re: F Dumoulin & Cie Liege 20 gauge ClapperZapper 04/24/24 05:05 PM
They made good, serviceable guns.
Plenty of them around.
12 236 Read More
Re: F Dumoulin & Cie Liege 20 gauge Daryl Hallquist 04/24/24 04:58 PM
Dumoulin , like many. Belgian makers, could make guns from the highest quality, to a lower price point. I have a steel barreled hammer Dumoulin with deep chiseled engraving and gold names. It is a rather high quality gun. I don’t know what the A and F case is like. It could be worth a few hundred in itself. Being a 20 gauge hammer gun is a step up in value.
12 236 Read More
Re: Update BrentD, Prof 04/24/24 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
Hey, Brent, we’re four months into the new year. How’s Gus’s recovery coming along?

Gus is holding his own. No one really recovers from oral nonpigmented melanoma, but he is doing far better than expected by the vet. He is enjoying the spring, and we are taking everything one day at a time.

Thanks for asking
8 475 Read More
Re: Hinge pin arrangement, explain? gunman 04/24/24 03:56 PM
On a shotgun the ideal would be >.002" /.004" . Please note the word ideal .
On a double rifle if would have been enough to " break the smoke " ,as in enough not to bare .

Graham
16 717 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? ClapperZapper 04/24/24 03:36 PM
Many tree slab cutters do the pressure injected resin technique to stabilize big table slabs.
It follows bug runs, cracks unseen,crevices,worm holes, etc.

I’ve seen some videos where it was done by vacuum and also by gravity.

A highly figured blank might really respond to the treatment.

I’d impregnate it with ebony black resin and see how it shaped up before I discarded it.

Partly out of curiousity, and partly because synthetic and semi synthetic stocks are much more acceptable today.
12 500 Read More
Re: Update Geo. Newbern 04/24/24 03:27 PM
Yes, 67galaxie got flooded in the August 30th hurricane and again a coupla weeks ago from what might have been a tornado. All dried out now, but he trembles when he hears thunder.

On the other hand he and I have been hunting turkeys several mornings a week since the GA season came in on April Fool's Day (fitting date to open a turkey season!). Galaxie scored this morning on a nice longbeard with his 8ga. English double...Geo
8 475 Read More
F Dumoulin & Cie Liege 20 gauge Ghostrider 04/24/24 03:07 PM
I found a F Dumoulin & Cie Liege 20 gauge yesterday at a local shop. It sports 30” barrels with great bores. This hammer gun seems to have been well cared for and comes in a A&F leather case.
It is tight on face and locks up tight. Wood is in excellent condition. It has pretty plain simple scroll engraving.
I am unfamiliar with the maker and am wondering about what others thoughts are on this maker.
I plan to take another look at it this morning and will take pictures.
12 236 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Ithaca Crass Grade 3 Marks_21 04/24/24 02:15 PM
I bought this gun to cannabalize for another early Grade 4 project gun, and I really don't have the heart to tear it apart. It is too close to being good on its own!
It currently doesn't cock, and I have not opened it up to see why... if I start taking it apart I may start taking the parts I need!
Good solid barrels (30 inch) , plenty to work with here... $800

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

3 98 Read More
Re: Hinge pin arrangement, explain? Jimmy W 04/24/24 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by HistoricBore
C'est magnifique, mais c'est ne pas la guerre...
C'est magnifique mais ce n'est pas la guerre. C'est de la folie.
16 717 Read More
Re: RST Jimmy W 04/24/24 11:27 AM
Empty hulls have always been pretty easy for me to come by. About 20 years ago I was at work and one of the guys came up to me and said he heard I shot trap. He said his dad doesn't shoot anymore and he's got a bunch of the old Winchester AA's and he asked me if I wanted them and he would give them to someone. So I said sure. I told him not to bring them into work, because if they caught me with them I'd probably get fired and I would pick them up outside of work. He said okay. About 3 days later, I go out to get in my truck to go home and there's a big garbage bag laying beside my truck door. And I thought, what the heck?? I opened it up and looked inside and it was full of the old AAs. And I thought holy mackerel. So I threw them in my truck and left. When I got home, I threw them up on the shelf in my garage. And they laid up there until last summer when I decided to get them down and reload them. I've loaded about four or five flats with them, and I'm still only about halfway through the bag. They shoot great.......... I used to help run the shoots out at my club and I would bring home all the empty hulls that the guys would throw on the ground. Sometimes, I would keep score and pick up the hulls that the shooters left. Most of them were once fired. A few years ago I ended up with a couple thousand 12 gauge Remington STS and about the same amount of Nitro 27s that all looked about once fired. I decided something had to go. So I took all the STSs out and gave them to somebody at my club. I still have hundreds of Gray Winchester AA's and at least a couple thousand Nitro 27s that I'll keep. A lot of guys at the skeet range shoot 20 gauge. And I have hundreds of 20 gauge Winchester AAs Top Guns. I reload them. And I have probably given away a couple hundred Winchester AAs .410s in the past several years that I picked up but would never use. So, I have enough hulls to last me for a while now that I'm back hunting and shooting again. I got dangerously low on primers in the past, but I'm okay now with them......... Now, I like to go down to the skeet range when no one is there, and pick up clay targets on the ground that have been thrown but aren't broken. So I have piles of them sitting around the house collecting dust.
12 847 Read More
Re: Hinge pin arrangement, explain? Ted Schefelbein 04/24/24 11:14 AM
Un gars ne sait jamais quand il aura besoin de 80 canards.

Salute,

Ted
16 717 Read More
Re: Hinge pin arrangement, explain? HistoricBore 04/24/24 09:23 AM
C'est magnifique, mais c'est ne pas la guerre...
16 717 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? keith 04/24/24 04:06 AM
Firewood is indeed the first thing that comes to mind. But there might be enough sound wood for a set of handgun grips, some pen blanks, or knife scales. Then there's always the walnut scrap box, which you keep in case you need a small piece to use for a stock repair.

On the bright side, it is easy to see the direction of grain flow through the wrist section. Just follow the deep checks and cracks. Flip it over and fill the checks with clear epoxy, and you might be able to make a stock with extreme drop like this Lefever. Until this, I don't think I have ever seen a gun with stock dimensions suitable for a giraffe. I wish I knew the story behind it:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I do like the old burl wood bench that damascus showed us.
12 500 Read More
Re: RST KY Jon 04/24/24 01:48 AM
I just saw a listing for .410 AAHS Winchester empty hulls selling for $350.00/500 on GunBroker. That works out to $17.50/25 for empty hulls. I can buy loaded shells for less and then shoot them myself. Plus $19.50 shipping. Some of the current prices are insane.
12 847 Read More
Re: Improve Beretta Xtra Wood Finish Jimmy W 04/24/24 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Sun Dog
Yeah. Amazing what those old Remington Nylon 66 rifles sell for now.
I saw one Saturday morning with a scope for $500.00. It was pretty rough. I have one in like new condition- black with chrome. I've had it since they came out.
9 441 Read More
Re: Hinge pin arrangement, explain? Ted Schefelbein 04/24/24 01:35 AM
Hinge pin free:

Best,
Ted
16 717 Read More
Re: Hinge pin arrangement, explain? bushveld 04/24/24 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by gunman
There are basically 3 types of hinge or joint pin ,
1 Solid ,as an integral part of the action body .Used by Webley and Westley Richards as well as many other maker in the past.
2 Loose pin which was driven into the body with an interference fit ,frequently with locking pins of some description .AyA still use this method for example .
3 Screw in .Self explanatory a pin that is threaded and screws into the action. These are depending on the gun a " through pin " as one that goes completely through the action , Purdey being a prime example .Or. A "hidden" pin that only goes through the centre part of the action with caps or cover plates to " fill " the holes on the action bars .On many boxlocks that used either a screw or knock in pin the caps could be removable or blind , as in fitted with no intention of them being removed .
Re-jointing any gun has to be considered on it merits , be it a new joint pin or welding up the hook ,depending on how far back the barrel needs to move .
I have tightened and re-jointed hundreds of guns building up hooks as well as making new over sized joint pins .
In some cases with knock in pins that have worked loose the hole in the body can become elongated so needs to be reamed out and a larger diameter pin made .Knocking out and turning has in my experience been largely waste of time .
As to jointing new guns with loose pins , it was the practice to joint with a slave pin ,then to ream through and fit a correct size matching pin .

Gunman;

The poster above brings to my mind to a question (that I have thought about for a very long time) I have about your last sentence and "..it was practice to joint with a slave pin, then ream through and fit the correct size matching pin" I have known about this practice of the English gun trade for some years and I ask you this question. On a shotgun (as I know it is different on a double rifle) what is the min-max clearance between the circle and the draw that the actioner is targeting to attain in jointing a NEW gun? I have been led to believe it is a couple of thousands of an inch.

Kind Regards;
Stephen Howell
16 717 Read More
Re: Hinge pin arrangement, explain? graybeardtmm3 04/24/24 12:09 AM
another rather unusual hinge pin system, incorporates centrical sleeves that fit snugly over the central axle pin to provide the bearing surface. if they reach a degree of wear that requires attention, they can simply be removed, and replaced with another sleeve that returns to the desired clearances.

this system was used by franz jager on his verschluss guns, as marketed under the herold name, and licensed to several belgian and other european makers....when these guns were marketed (and parts were available), one turnscrew and 5 minutes could put a gun back on face. a similar concept was patented by j. d. dougall, for the lockfast design - very early in the development era of the breech loader gun....the significant difference being the fact that the sleeve was eccentric (and had to be keyed into the properly indexed position), and thus provided the step-back movement that led to the term "slide and drop" type actions.

i happen to have both a herold gun and a lockfast, and admire the sensible approach taken by dougall and jager to address this situation.

in similar concept, i think of the guns that utilize replaceable rear faces on their rear lumps - so that adjustments can be made "in the circle", without requiring exotic welding and machining techniques.

best regards,

tom
16 717 Read More
Re: RST eeb 04/23/24 11:07 PM
When they were charging $85-125 a flat is when I got serious about reloading. That’s when AAs were $35 a flat.
12 847 Read More
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.