July
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (civeng, Jtplumb, JNW, cpa, LGF, 2 invisible), 88 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics37,054
Posts519,681
Members14,183
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: fireworks laws a bit like firearms laws old colonel 07/04/22 11:38 PM
Fireworks are fundamentally different from firearms. The right to be arms exists in our constitution for a well thought out purpose.

While I no longer like setting fireworks off myself, and I am bothered by the week of booms all over the neighborhood, I tolerate it. Toleration takes us a distance in this country.
9 277 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: 1956 (as new) Model 99 in .250-3000 Remington40x 07/04/22 10:53 PM
There is a Savage collectors discussion group on 24hourcampfire.com that includes the author of the definitive book on Savage 99s. It would be worth your while to post an inquiry there.

I like 99s. My primary whitetail rifle is a 1950s 99 in .300 Savage.
2 34 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Flying under the radar Hoot4570 07/04/22 10:20 PM
I almost didn't look at this listing but I'm very happy I did.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/937221608
0 14 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Checkering JNW 07/04/22 08:36 PM
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who can checker a new stock? My local guy is about 90% retired and not taking on any work. I’m in the Midwest but okay with shipping. I’ve been spoiled for decades with someone local, talented, fast and reasonably priced.
Thanks,
Jeff
0 28 Read More
Re: Going Home... Karl Graebner 07/04/22 06:51 PM
A great honor for a wonderful man, and service to country remembered.
Karl
23 1,132 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Slow here again so I bought another ellenbr 07/04/22 06:48 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I guess just an earlier form of Snails Ears of load indicators? Seem to be a bit far back for a typical Meffert?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
81 1,666 Read More
Re: CENTRAL WI SHOOT Mark II 07/04/22 05:19 PM
It is a really nice venue. Great people running it and a good cause. Go support the future of our sport.
1 103 Read More
Re: Wall thickness measurement Drew Hause 07/04/22 05:02 PM
I'm not beyond whining (begging) in the interest of science gentlemen wink and would very much like more small gauge end-of-chamber MWT numbers

The ONLY 28g barrel that I've measured was a Phil's Parker checked at Mike's cow pasture shoot in 2020. I did not keep the documentation but as I recall, both end-of-chambers measured about .105"

The earliest 28g pressure I've found were published in Frederick Toms, Sporting Guns and Gunpowder, 1897
with 3/4 oz. and + 10-14%
28 gr. Bulk (2 Dram) – 2.81 tons = 8,322 psi
18 gr. Dense (2 1/2 Dr.Eq.) – 3.01 tons = 8,994 psi

DuPont Brandywine Experimental Station data cited by Charles Askins in 1933, with DuPont Bulk Smokeless Powder
28g 2 Dram 5/8 oz. - 4.66 X 2240 = 10,438 psi + 10 - 14%

Since 28g pressures run higher than larger gauges, it would make sense that the end-of-chamber MWT would be slightly greater.

And a glorious Independence Day to each of you and your family
122 4,571 Read More
Refitting G&H side mount 1916XE 07/04/22 12:14 PM
Refitting a Griffin and Howe side mount to a pre-war Model 70.
Looking for a set of 7/8 in G&H rings to match for a 2.5 X Lyman Alaskan.

G&H made two types of rings: standard one-piece and two piece rings that utilized two screws.
I am trying to locate a set of the latter two-piece rings.

The pre-war Model 70 safety encourages the use of a 7/8 in scope along with
careful choice of mount and base. The base is on the rifle, so I must live with
mount- rings and Leupold/Lyman 2.5 scope.
Anyone have a spare set of 7/8 G&H rings?
0 46 Read More
Re: Leupold scopes?? 1916XE 07/04/22 12:01 PM
I just purchased a Leupold Alaskan for a pre-war Model 70.
Anyone got any extra 7/8 inch rings for a G&H side mount???? Thanks-
12 968 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Fabarm Autumn at Medford Nitrah 07/04/22 11:51 AM
single trigger
6 403 Read More
Re: Antique Fireworks Cartridges for the 4th of July! Stanton Hillis 07/04/22 10:48 AM
Very interesting, Aaron. Thanks for your contributions and ......... HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY !!!
1 169 Read More
Re: Flint SxS markings help ellenbr 07/03/22 10:36 PM
I had thought that Quail hearts & livers were the >>pièce de résistance​​<<, but put me down for some Duck livers w/ hominy and celery salad.......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
5 169 Read More
Re: Parker barrels eightbore 07/03/22 09:30 PM
"Pull the stock and bottom plate" is not as simple as it sounds.
8 671 Read More
Re: Boss & Co. Argo44 07/03/22 04:06 PM
Simon Reinhold is a fine speaker, who discourses with absolute assurance. The video is a good one. However, Simon does say some things occasionally which are questionable. His assertion early in the video that London gunmakers from 1800-1845 relied solely on word-of-mouth and that there was no public advertising at all is demonstrably not true.
8 706 Read More
Re: New 20 Gauge TriStar Bristol SxS For Sale gold40 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Price reduced to $700.
1 254 Read More
Re: IOWA DOUBLEGUN CLASS KY Jon 07/03/22 01:49 PM
Not to be offensive, but there is a lot of knowledge held by men just as old or older than I am and they are willing to pass some of it on to others for very little money. This is a great idea. Just wish I could go and learn about case relining and case restorations. Do note there is no Spring chicken among these guys, so take what they can teach you, or wish you had later. We have lost too much talent and knowledge about doubles, to be passing up a chance like this lightly.
11 815 Read More
Re: W. Förster - E. Barthelmes Z-M - SB & Co.-Liège ellenbr 07/03/22 12:59 PM
Yesterday was a day that this sporting weapons marks quest pretty much came full circle. The fella that provided me with my 1st German Combo had his son stop the car on the side of the road(where you typically can find me) to chat a moment. He has 89 years and is deaf as a post but had some device, sort of headset that he could hear a bit. I hadn't seen him in say 20+ years and really didn't know if he was still with us. We had made a trade on said Combo as a partial payment for some services I had rendered. He had acquired it from a friend in an Alabama Hunt Club. Turns out it was a donor and the springs were removed for a 16-65 over 8X57R/360 I believe. But this it THE Combo that sparked the flame into researching European Sporting Arms that has brought me this far. I decided last night to pen him a letter of Thanks for the initial contribution and hopefully he can still read as he cannot hear(Heavy Artillery or similar) and will not wear hearing aides.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
7 243 Read More
Matched Pair William Moore & Grey Vol423 07/03/22 04:36 AM
Made in 1902, Boxlock Ejectors, 12 ga, 28", 2-1/2", in proof. Single selective triggers. Cased. Gunbroker auction 938500375. $5000
0 133 Read More
Re: Accraglass mc 07/03/22 12:01 AM
39 % think Elvis is alive
2 254 Read More
Re: 16ga. CSMC RBL, lightly used, cased Grouse Guy 07/02/22 09:24 PM
Back on market (I was away), and reduced again to $3,800.
7 1,017 Read More
Re: German 16 gauge chamber length? ellenbr 07/02/22 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by L. Brown
If they were made for export to the US, I've also seen them marked 2 3/4 on the extractor face.

This was correct till recently when extractor faces with >>70<< have surfaced. I can post a foto if need be.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
3 254 Read More
Re: Mirror polishing internals damascus 07/02/22 10:32 AM
Mirror polishing of small internal lock parts n days past was a profession and a skill that is hardly done today. The only trade where it is still done regularly is in high quality mechanical watch and clock making. Some of the older products used are still available but at a cost. Abrasive stones are just one of many abrasives though the problem is what type is used for finishing "Water of Ayr" stones are available in many grades for producing a high finish on hardened steels the finest polish is obtained with Dimond dust in olive oil, Jewellers Rouge in
any oil. To bring the metal surface up to a level where you can consider working it to a mirror finish the following items are of a great help "Engineers Emery sticks" of various shapes and abrasive sizes, mechanical buffing wheels using various paste polishes "Tripoli" polishing soap is a good all rounder to get a high polish on softer metals though using polishing wheels does have a tendency yo remove sharp edges killing that sharp overall effect. Dont forget to use finger protection when using mechanical polishers it will be a painful lesson if you dont.
9 526 Read More
Re: 1903 Takedown Aperture Sight rtenenbown 07/01/22 09:01 PM
Thanks, Gents.
It is a pop up Tang Sight.
I had read somewhere that it was to aid in focusing.
It would be for very deliberate shooting.
I wanted to verify it wasn't my soon to be octogenarian vision.
3 190 Read More
Cogswell & Harrison BLE Jamie243AI 07/01/22 08:22 PM
I am researching a gun for sale. It is a 12b BLE.. On the bottom of the frame, it has two small screws side-by-side. What is the difference in this frame from the others I have seen with a single large screw in the bottom? It dates 1925 from what I can tell.
0 228 Read More
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2022 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.