October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (graybeardtmm3, SKB, Bob Jurewicz, LeFusil, Southern Sport, 1 invisible), 118 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics36,200
Posts508,820
Members14,085
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Favorite Game/Gun Picture - 2021 Hunting Season Stanton Hillis 10/17/21 09:44 PM
That's a nice looking Uggie, Greg. The lighting enhances the engraving and the case color. Great pic.

Can't wait to get my two 16s back from the 'smith. Minor stuff, but I miss them.
80 4,226 Read More
Re: Did London make boxlock rifles & guns? bushveld 10/17/21 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
Len had lots of great quotes but most cannot be repeated in polite company.

Steve;

I am sending you a PM about Len Bull.

Regards;
Stephen Howell
56 1,794 Read More
Re: Creating Choke Drew Hause 10/17/21 05:42 PM
34 1,254 Read More
Re: Assistance with Proof marks Drew Hause 10/17/21 12:51 PM
The CIP site confirms that 850 BAR = 12,328 PSI by crushers (LUP) is actually 960 BAR = 13,924 PSI by transducers (13% higher), and adds MPa to the confusion frown
“These cartridges, if they are to be fired from standard proof shotguns (ie those proved to 960 bar [13,924 psi transducer] or, previously, 850 bar [crusher]), or magnum proof shotguns (ie those proved to 1370 bar [19,870 psi transducer] or, previously, 1200 bar [crusher]) must not exceed the maximum admissible service pressure of 74 MPa (new units “megapascals”, in place of the old 740 bar) specified by the CIP and measured by means of a piezo-electric transducer.”
9 341 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Converting a beavertail to a splinter SKB 10/17/21 10:46 AM
Stan,
You might try Cecil Freddie or Robert Watts for a piece of wood. I have a stash of black walnut fore blanks as well but not near the number that those guys have. Matching black is easier than matching English in my opinion. Best of luck with it.
Steve
25 525 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Gunsmith Tools (mostly SXS) for sale Prices Update WBLDon 10/17/21 04:25 AM
Sorry it has been sold.
12 1,281 Read More
Re: Old French 16 gauge double. Ted Schefelbein 10/17/21 02:15 AM
Well, your files were way too big, or, corrupt, and I only took the time to manipulate this one. But, it will get us started:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

This action was used all over France and Belgium for probably 100+ years. It was sold, in the white, as barreled actions to gunmakers all over France and Belgium. I have never figured out exactly who produced it, but, it is common as empty beer cans, and used for up to about mid grade continental guns. Very rarely, it is fitted with ejectors. I have never seen this action with a single trigger, but, I would imagine they are out there. Your gun is not rare, or, terribly valuable, except as a family heirloom, perhaps, but, these are typically wonderful hunting implements. Watch for short chambers and tight bores and chokes. It is probably time for a good gunsmith to strip, clean, and lubricate the old gun, unless you don’t plan on using it. That, would be a shame, as it appears to be a great little bird gun, from what I can see. Your pictures weren’t really clear enough for me to see the proof marks, and describe to you what they are telling us. A better photo of the action flats would help. Crown over PT is indicative of proof with power T, post 1900, and is a stout level of proof indeed. St. Etienne was where most French guns were proofed.

Best of luck with it. If you have any specific questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best,
Ted
2 150 Read More
Re: Remington 1894 CE Grade skeettx 10/17/21 01:51 AM
9 423 Read More
Re: JS O'Donohue LeFusil 10/17/21 01:49 AM
Thanks for posting my pics Ted!

Stan, as you can see, the Greener style lever work pictured here shows the bent safety bar and the short axle on the spindle….these pictures should explain why that breech pin is located off-center.
11 746 Read More
Re: Doublegun Preservation Jtplumb 10/17/21 12:19 AM
He buys quite a few from gunbroker also! I have lost more than one to his bid.
1 186 Read More
Re: Unusual Liégeoise Gun ellenbr 10/16/21 11:47 PM
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Looks like it was destined for export too......

The tube maker with the mark of Crown over JL was quite prolific.....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
3 124 Read More
Re: Unusual Side Lever KDGJ 10/16/21 11:31 PM
It is the Dougall lockfast. A strong lock-up at the time, but a little cumbersome to us and eventually replaced. Here's a write-up Lockfast.

Ken
1 117 Read More
Re: Lever to the right keith 10/16/21 11:31 PM
For most doubles, the lever is moved to the right to open the gun, and it returns back left toward center when it is closed. As the bolting surfaces wear, the lever then gradually moves further left, and eventually may move left of center.

The point where it stops can also vary somewhat due to how easily or sharply the gun is closed. And a weak top lever return spring can also affect where it stops. For the end of the top lever to stop a full inch right of center, as you mentioned, seems awfully extreme, and could indicate that someone peened or welded the bolting surfaces to make the gun appear not worn.

Some earlier Syracuse Lefever shotguns, referred to as "pivot lever" guns, have a different bolting system, and the top lever always returns to center. These guns had a compensating screw to take up wear and keep the bolting tight. Later models simply self-adjust by the process of the lever gradually moving further towards the left as wear occurs.
2 113 Read More
Re: Sterling - Turkish Shotshell Ammo ellenbr 10/16/21 03:16 PM
Along the lines of cartridges, I have been sourcing some 32 bore cartridges such as Rio, Fiocchi, Federal. On the various websites, Federal is noted as being >>Made in the USA<< but when the boxes arrived, they are stamped >>Made in Italy<< and they are for the most part one in the same as Fiocchi, with Federal roll stamped on the sides.

But considering the brass plated heads, what dictates just how long it is to be???

The Rio cartridges are 0.320" in length

whilst the Fiocchi cartridges are 0.280" in length.

I haven't had any issue with the Rio or the Federals but the Fiocchis have had a few misfires? The shorter brass head seems to drop just slightly deeper in the chamber but the Federal & Fiocchi have the same length brass head.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
44 2,301 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Franz Kettner Cape Gun-Lefaucheux Texasbdog 10/15/21 11:41 PM
Yes, the 16 gauge shells that came with it are 2 1/2”. There is one shell missing in each box.
Thanks for the info.
55 979 Read More
Re: Midland gun co pics up SKB 10/15/21 05:15 PM
bump
3 900 Read More
Re: Alex. Henry 12 bore sle SKB 10/15/21 05:14 PM
bump
11 3,865 Read More
Re: Watson bros. 3" 12ga blne pics up SKB 10/15/21 05:14 PM
bump
2 765 Read More
Re: A Question of Balance Rocketman 10/14/21 04:36 PM
Magic guns --- maybe. Magic golf club(s) or tennis racket ---never.
68 1,746 Read More
Re: OT - a tribute to wild bobs spring 10/14/21 03:42 PM
Looking forward to this:

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
116 2,671 Read More
Re: Laser engraving mc 10/14/21 02:01 PM
Boxalland edmiston is out of business they did say all guns bespoke then laser engraved them .I don't know why they went under but an expensive gun with no value added engraving might be a reason I was not impressed by there choice in decorating there guns
12 846 Read More
Re: 20 ga Parker straight grip stock PMcFall 10/14/21 01:48 PM
Sold pending funds.
Thanks
Phil
3 674 Read More
Re: A Russian Purdey. Part III. Robertovich 10/14/21 11:01 AM
I think it's better than BELKA
Originally Posted by Robertovich
Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
That BELKA on the poster advert over under looks interesting.
Finnish Prime Minister Karjalainen's Russian shotgun
[Linked Image from shotguncollector.files.wordpress.com]

https://wp.me/p461yQ-4Kk
2 263 Read More
Hornady 366 SHotshell loaders for Sale lkydvl 10/14/21 03:16 AM
I have three Hornady 366 Loaders for Sale. All are 12 ga and were used until recently. $400 each

I have shot, wads and AA hulls available as well to the purchasers of the loaders. I am located along I-90 in SW MN.

Will post pics tomorrow.
0 112 Read More
Re: NEW: King Ranch Upland Game Vest gil russell 10/14/21 01:55 AM
Or here's an idea...Sell the chaps and find an upland game vest to match....Just sayin'
1 325 Read More
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2021 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.