September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Edh, gil russell, battle, bushveld, 2 invisible), 114 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics36,144
Posts507,786
Members14,079
Most Online462
Aug 5th, 2016
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Goex Plant to Close 67galaxie 09/28/21 03:33 PM
Dangit I need some 4f to use for black powder season
3 115 Read More
Re: Are Turkish sidelocks now a good bet? Parabola 09/28/21 02:56 PM
Like anything else it will depend on if they are built up to a standard or down to a price

The weight may have to do with whether they have to stand someone putting those Turkish Tactical anti-drone shells through them?
2 129 Read More
Re: Your Favorite Case... bushveld 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Those old cases are nice....just not practical for transport any more.

Back I'm the day the Porters had respect for peoples property in this day and time they would relish destroying a wood n learher case.

They have no practical use for gun storage either....all they have going for them is gun club cOOl factor.

Here comes ol' cOOl bOb with his weird gun case.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." ----John Keats

Stephen Howell
25 790 Read More
Re: Looking for source of gold oval for shotgun Kutter 09/28/21 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
Hagstoz, 1" gold filled disc, 22 gauge, whatever that is, $178.00. They are a great source for "stuff". Thanks for the reference.

Most everyone that sells precious metal in sheet and wire form will post the thicknesses in Brown & Sharpe gauge.

22gauge in B&S is .025"

Larger the B&S gauge,,the smaller dia in .000"

I bought all of my wire and sheet in thickness/diameter in 20, 24, 26, 28 & 30 ga
That filled the necessary wire dia thicknesses for the work. Sheet stock the same.

For a stock oval,,most are 14k or 18k on older guns. It takes wear well and still looks good.
24k (pure 100% gold) is nice but engraving can be worn easily because of the soft nature of the metal.

To figure the % of pure gold in an alloy of gold,,simply make a fraction of the Alloy/24.
14k gold is 14/24 ths gold. The remainder is the alloy metal. Can be copper, silver,, lots of different metals to give it different shades of yellow and even red and green hints in the 14k and 18k range.
10k gold is 10/24 ths gold,,the remainder alloy metal.

I supplied the 10k stock ovals w/the pin soldered to the back of them for a time in the early 2000's. They were retailed by Galazans and I think Brownells carried them too.
The basic punched out oval I sourced from Hagstoz back then.
I beveled the outer edge to make inletting easier, bent the flat oval into it's curved shape in the simple die I made.
Then soft soldered the brass pin to the back of each.

Circumstances changed and I didn't supply them anymore. Don't know who does now or if they are still being sold.
A quick check of Galazans website only shows a brass and a nickle silver oval.

Here's the B&S gauge #'s and the .000" from the wire and sheet I generally use

20ga .032"
24 .020
26 .016
28 .013
30 .010

I haven't bought any 'supplies' in quite a while. Working on my current stock hoping to dwindle it down at about the same rate as I am.
9 297 Read More
Re: OT - a tribute to wild bobs GLS 09/28/21 12:57 PM
Before Europeans arrived in America, fire was used by humans to manage the pine forests in the Southeast. The practice was later adopted by the newly arrived farmers, but was discouraged as timber interests began to campaign against woods burning. In 1924 Herbert Stoddard endorsed the use of fire in the quail woods of the Red Hills of Georgia for both timber and quail management. His publication in 1931 "The Bobwhite Quail..." detailed his research. While Aldo Leopold is considered by many to be the father of wildlife management, he acknowledged later in life that it was Herbert Stoddard who was among the first of the game management pioneers because of his work in recognizing the importance of controlled burning in the wire grass and longleaf forests of SW Georgia. According to Leopold: "Herbert Stoddard, in Georgia, started the first management of wildlife based on research." The longleaf pine evolved to withstand and flourish after natural fires were caused by lightning strikes. Fire is critical for the survival of longleaf pines as it removes forest litter which impedes the growth of longleaf seedlings, removes fire intolerant competing pines and controls blight which can sicken the longleaf pine. Gil
24 534 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Ithaca Lewis information LetFly 09/28/21 12:36 PM
Gun is off to my gunsmith for examination and proper repair on barrels. He thought the same as you on the frame. Both barrels are on face with proper breach and water table clearances. Me, I think they used heavy duck loads until the solder gave way and the switched barrels. I will let you know when I get it back.
17 532 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Info on Spanish guns por favor Run With The Fox 09/28/21 12:05 PM
Ed, I can only wonder how the Spanish made guns that Ernest Hemingway either used himself, or gave to friends to shoot, made in Eibar, held up. Hemingway used all his guns hard, demanded reliable performance (his favorite esopeta was his 1928 era M12 12 gauge) and of course, was in love with Spain and Spanish speaking people. heat treating standards may have varied from one European country to another back in Hemingway's days- also, if I am correctly informed, many of the Spanish gunmakers did contracting work for the London makers. El Zorro---
4 209 Read More
Re: Unsafe Guns HomelessjOe 09/28/21 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by ed good
12bore, shooting smokeless in a damascus gun is pushing it...doing so in such light barrels, is even more risky...

.017 seven inches down in a 16 is risky and could easily result in a bulge or an eruption if even a slight blockage occurs...

you were lucky shooting both guns...

other opinions?

Yeah, here's mine. You're full of it. It didn't result in "an eruption", obviously. Why didn't it, ed, if it was unsafe?

Calm down Stanley Ed didn't say anything bad about your ground swatting covey shooting grandpappy.
36 1,110 Read More
Re: is it safe to shoot smokeless in twist barrels ? SKB 09/28/21 11:54 AM
Better to stay safe in your recliner and maintain that armchair xspurt status you have worked so hard to obtain frAnk.

It must suck to be that afraid of living.

Ted, I disagree with your take on shooting old guns. If you learn to buy old guns in nice shape they are rarely money pits. Becoming an educated buyer is not for everyone though, it takes work and finding the right gun takes patience. I waited years before I found the gun for me.

I shoot almost nothing but vintage guns and I rarely need to work on them(never have touched either of my shotguns for repair). My hunting partner shoots a British SxS from the 1880's and has put tens of thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup. Find one that has been well maintained and fits you, feed it appropriate ammo and you will rarely be disappointed.
23 524 Read More
Re: Choke percentages at different ranges L. Brown 09/28/21 11:12 AM
Re Dr. Jones, I recall that he came to some conclusions about skeet and single pellet breaks that, I think, pretty much surprised skeet shooters. Jones' analysis concludes that they're relatively common. Personally, that caused me to wonder whether maybe he needed to walk away from his computer, stroll around on a skeet field, and see how many unbroken targets he could find with holes in them. Plenty with one hole . . . some with even more than one. While his analysis might predict the likelihood of single pellet hits, can it predict the likelihood of single pellet breaks? The simple exercise of examining unbroken targets clearly shows that single pellet hits often fail to produce single pellet breaks.
18 639 Read More
Re: Favorite Game/Gun Picture - 2021 Hunting Season gjw 09/28/21 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Classicioi
Greg, I sure do look forward to your hunts and pics... I'm really glad Patty is enjoying time in the field with the old man ! !

Congrats to both of ya'll... Karl

Thanks so much Karl! Good to hear from you! I'll pass on your congrats to Patty!

Stay well old friend!

Greg
63 2,763 Read More
Re: The Spanish Curse Shotgunjones 09/28/21 03:22 AM
Not again.

Or any of your other click bait.

Go pound sand, ed.
2 133 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Who might this HM mechanic be? ellenbr 09/28/21 01:51 AM
A bit of a workhorse A&D Body Action with ejectors coupled with sideclips & 1/2 pipe side-frame reinforcement. Scalloped frame with arcaded fences also. Nothing short about the all Suhl longarm.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
8 97 Read More
6 English Walnut 2 Piece Stock Sets Vol423 09/28/21 12:19 AM
On gunbroker. One is No 912024115. Click see sellers other items to see the other five. $ to Dave if you mention you saw it here.
0 87 Read More
Re: Determine Value Cole Poli pipeliner 09/27/21 11:47 PM
Please remove poster appears to be a scammer using pictures from shotgun world 2005.Regards pipeliner
11 521 Read More
Re: Did London make boxlock rifles & guns? mc 09/27/21 09:19 PM
I guess Wilkes could have pitched all there parts or sold them when they closed there Birmingham operation it's to bad more of the inside history isn't known .Wilkes is a favorite of mine I really like there side lock doubles.(this rifle is great)
28 682 Read More
Re: 9.3x72r reloading components for sale Der Ami 09/27/21 02:06 PM
Antique reloading tools will be hard to find and will likely take time, unless you are willing to to spend more than they are worth. However you can load perfectly useable ammo and enjoy your drilling while searching. The first step is to "slug" your barrel, they vary wildly in groove diameter( from about .358" to .368") and you might be able to use commonly available bullets. When I started loading the 9.3x72, I used my 9.3x74R dies as "neck sizing" dies, with the expander removed, and expanded / deprimed by hand with shop made expander made to fit a .364" bullet. I know it's hard to believe, but not everyone has 9.3x74R dies. With careful adjustment and a shellholder that fits, you can likely use 35 Rem./ 358 Win./35 Wh. modern dies. This would allow you time for your search.
Mike
5 324 Read More
Double Rifles, Paradox Guns & Gauge Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: .303 British / 16 Gauge Cape gun ellenbr 09/27/21 01:12 PM
Pleasure us with some images of the touchmarks and we'll give it a go.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
2 131 Read More
Re: Thoughts on Snap Catch Forends and Reproofed Chamb Stanton Hillis 09/27/21 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Indeed snap on forends are automatically associated with lower priced guns. However, I think I have read in some older material that the snap on has the advantage of keeping pressure on the action bar and reducing the rearward forces on the face of the action. It might be that the Evans was built with this in mind. I dunno……

Snap on forends have been built by many makers, English and American. They are likely not all the same, but I did some looking into them as pertains to A H Fox guns some years ago, specifically Kremer and Russell styles, and found that the spring tensioned roller does NOT provide the pressure to keep the forend iron tight against the knuckle. It provides spring pressure UPWARDS, keeping the forend wood tight against the underside of the barrels. If the wood is still fitted as it was when it left the factory there is no way it can be fit any tighter when the forend is snapped "home", and no way for that fit to provide any significant pressure rearward. It would have to be pushing the "flat" on the front of the forend iron away from the back of the forend lug. THAT fitment is what provides the pressure to keep the rear of the forend iron tight against the action knuckle, not any spring pressure associated with the snap on design.
7 234 Read More
Re: Your Thoughts on Bending a Stock--Win 21 SKB 09/27/21 10:42 AM
American walnut can be bent though it is not as easy to do as thin shell is. Cast is the easiest of direction to bend a gun in. You could likely bend it but finding a take off stock does seem a better option.
5 238 Read More
Re: WTB Beretta 20 gauge O/U STRAIGHT STOCK PALUNC 09/27/21 09:59 AM
Coles Gunsmith has plenty of sets that fit the bill
1 90 Read More
Re: WTB Browning Auto 5 Barrel Stanton Hillis 09/26/21 10:09 PM
2 91 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Alex Henry with detachable front target sight? Vall 09/26/21 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Chuckster
Not discounting the overall appeal of Vall's rifle, the engraving is about as nice as you will see. Suspect it can be traced to a name engraver.
Chuck

Chuck, I had Bob Evans examine this Rigby this morning at our OAC collectors show. Bob was the historian for the Engraver's Guild, and he felt the work on my Rigby appeared to be that of LD Nimschke.
15 454 Read More
Re: The pinfire game gun Steve Nash 09/26/21 08:05 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but a few more guns have turned up. Here is a plain pinfire, but there is always something to be learned from one.

When thinking of the great names in Birmingham gunmaking, Charles Henry Osborne might not make the first cut. Born in Birmingham in 1819, he apprenticed under his father, James Osborn, and by 1838 was in business as a gunmaker and factor (selling guns made by others). However, in 1858 Osborne was appointed a Guardian of the Birmingham Proof House, so he was a significant member of the gunmaking community. Osborne was also listed as a beer-house keeper and retail brewer, so he was a versatile fellow.

In 1855, Charles Henry Osborne moved his gunmaking business from 1 Lichfield Street to 12 & 13 Whittall Street. The business and family became intertwined with the Ellis family of Birmingham gunmakers, though the records are unclear. Charles Francis Ellis, the son of a metal dealer, was listed in the 1861 census as a “Commercial Traveller To Gun Maker.” The gunmaker in question may have been Charles Henry Osborne. Ellis’s brother Alexander was a ‘factor’s apprentice, ’ and one of Ellis’s sons was named Charles Osborne Ellis. By 1871 Charles Henry Osborne had retired, and Charles Francis Ellis continued the business. In 1877 Charles Osborne Ellis ran the firm, and he would go on to obtain several gun-related patents.

The firm both bought from the trade and produced for the trade; probably quite a few London makers bought guns from Charles Osborne, placing their names and addresses on the locks and ribs. A few Osborne-marked pinfire game guns have survived, so the firm made them, but I don’t know how many were made or when they started doing so.

Today's gun is a very standard example, a 12-bore made some time after 1862. It carries no serial number, suggesting this was a gun bought from the trade. The top rib is signed “Chas Osborne London” as is usual with his guns, though Osborne did not have a London address. He may well have had an agent in London, but none has been identified so far. The 29 ¾” damascus barrels have Birmingham provisional and definitive proofs and bore size (13), and a barrel maker’s mark “J.G,” which I haven’t been able to identify. The gun has an unmarked double-bite screw grip action, and the action bar lacks a radius. The rounded hammers are plain, the back action locks are signed “Chas Osborne” within decorative scrolls, and the rest of the gun has simple line and border engraving only. A few details are not found on the cheapest guns, such as the raised clips on the trigger guard bow.

Overall it is the type of standard pinfire game gun produced in Birmingham workshops in the mid to late 1860s, or possibly later. As the breech-loader gained acceptance, it was no longer the plaything of the privileged, and guns were made in a range of prices. Lower-cost guns might have been carried afield to the colonies, possibly explaining this one turning up in Canada. The Osborne firm went on to specialize in big-game guns destined for Africa and Asia, so their eyes were always on distant markets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
435 126,578 Read More
Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... Hal 09/26/21 05:29 PM
Just a note for those planning a Canadian hunt. There is a site called ArriveCanada.com to get across quicker and avoid paperwork. However it is only good for 72 hours before you enter and they make you put down the EXACT MINUTE you will arrive as well as a lot of other questions.

So we will go up with only our passports and proof of covid vaccination and hope the phone system works at the customs office. Call is supposed to take about five minutes.
60 2,236 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2021 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.