April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (ithaca1, battle, Hammergun, David Williamson, rtw, 1 invisible), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,984
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: S Hofer Hammergun Left Hand Vol423 04/23/24 12:12 PM
Barrels are 28,5". Toplever opens to the right. The stock is cast on and length of pull is 13.75". That's short for me but the bead is perfectly visible with no rib showing. I'll need to pattern it to see what adjustments if any, are needed. Weight is 6 lb 6 oz.
4 79 Read More
Re: Shoots Springing up! Nitrah 04/23/24 11:58 AM
This isn't a SxS event but Back Forty puts on a bunny shoot this weekend and next. To say they are Not your typical rabbit targets is an understatement. The clays themselves might be rabbit clays but they are thrown, rolled dropped in all manner of ways. I normally hate rabbit targets but I went last year and had a blast. He usually draws over 300 shooters over the course of the 2 weekends. It cost $55 and includes lunch.
14 215 Read More
Re: Ammunition & House Fires Jimmy W 04/23/24 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Hammergun
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I would still be afraid of being around ammo in a house fire. If you were a fireman, you would wonder if there was any black powder inside. I believe the primers can still come out of the bullets. I threw some blank .22 shells from a blank pistol in a trash fire years ago. One of them exploded and came out of the fire and hit me in my shoulder and cut me. It was strong enough to put out my eye. I understand primers do the same thing. All kinds of weird things happen in a fire. And if you know someone has ammo, you can figure there are loaded guns, too.

The firefighting gear provides plenty of protection. There are many ways to get killed fighting a fire and ammo cooking off is way down on the list.

I realize that. I was a firefighter. And guns, ammunition, powder, and it's changing composition during a fire, etc. is still something to be aware of. Watch the different videos. If it's safe in a fire, why do the people run and hide when they throw it in a fire? The one video shows that bullets will penitrate a block of gel sitting next to the fire. It's down on the list of danger, but like you said, it is still on the list. You don't know what is in people's houses now days. And if firefighters are in a house and they hear explosions going off, I can't blame them for wanting to leave the house and hitting it with water from the outside. But, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate your opinion.
13 349 Read More
Re: Stock blank or firewood? damascus 04/23/24 10:32 AM
This is what a young man did with a tree Burr in the 1920s. My late Farther in Law was given a burr though at the time he was given it the wood was already half a centaury old and as hard as bell Brass so much to hard to work with normal carpentry tools. His Farther owned a Agricultural Engineering factory and using a band saw usually used for cutting metal he cut the Burr into a couple of planks and bolted together this stool. He was nor sure if the Burr is Walnut or Elm, My wife lived with it all the time she was growing up and has a love hate relationship with it because it is so heavy for such a small piece of furniture that if you walk into it it takes no prisoners but does leave you with bruised shins. So if not a gun stock there are a lot of other avenues to explore.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
3 86 Read More
Blued? HMAK 04/23/24 10:13 AM
Looking for advice and council on my recently acquired 1959 Union Armera M205E (Grulla) 12 gauge,
the 1st picture kind of shows that the barrels are almost same color as the receiver,
2nd pic shows what appears to me a "re blue" drip,
3rd shows a darkened spot, another drip,
4th & 5th pic show muzzle ends - the dark spots on pic 4 are NOT pits,
picture 6 shows a 2" bare spot, it's not a scratch.
I have had the gun looked at by a long-time gunsmith, his comments are: "the barrels inside are pristine, the thickness is in the high 30's, gun is made when they knew how to make guns, fabulous condition, mechanically very clean I just oiled the parts, pins fire almost dead center, I'd shot this all day long"
Ok, gun is in great shape, but I was thinking about have the barrels reblued, more of a cosmetic issue. Should I get them reblued? Possibly getting it Cerakote?

I understand the value of originality but if the barrels have already been reblued in the past then originality already eliminated. do you think the barrels were reblued?
This gun is a keeper for me, so I don't care about resale, it will be my kid's problem. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

M205E
Drip mark?
Another drip?
Barrel ends
Bare streak
0 39 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Ithaca Flues Ejector Drawings Nelsons Custom 04/23/24 05:34 AM
I have a 20 gauge field grade on which I am duplicating the ejector mechanism right now, Bill. What is your schedule? I should be finished copying the ejector parts by later this summer.
1 146 Read More
Re: The pinfire game gun Argo44 04/23/24 04:06 AM
Repeat post: Original Blanch receipt for his Beringer purchase in Dec 1855:
518 296,631 Read More
RST mark 04/23/24 01:55 AM
Nice to see most loads now available!
0 108 Read More
Re: Powder price guess KY Jon 04/23/24 01:47 AM
I bought three eight pound containers of PB in the last several years. Enough to last out my low pressure needs. Never paid more than $25.00/lb but that was before last years rapid powder price increases. I wont pay the going rate of nearly $50/lb for 20/28 or other common powders. A $35-40/lb would be my high limit. There are several current production powders which will make decent low pressure loads so look at some of them. Gone are the days when we could just use our one favorite powder and wait for it to come in so we could stock up again.

I have more powder on hand now than I had when I was shooting 25-50,000 shells a year. In fact I have never had such a wide range of powders because I have learned that three or four powders are not enough. If you limit yourself to just a few you will be unable to load and shoot when you run out and they are nowhere to be found at any price. In total different powders I think last count it was 25 plus on hand with quantities from a few pounds for some types to 20 plus for the main dozen of more. I have more powder than my favorite gun store has and a vastly better selection. Buy powder when you find what you need and can pay cash for it. Don't expect it to be there later.

If the election goes against Biden I might be sitting on a bunch of high priced powders but if that bastard gets in again I might able to outlast him and all the anti gun people who will use him to try and seal the decline of the second amendment.
4 119 Read More
Re: A Wild and a couple of turkeys. RWG 04/23/24 12:27 AM
Mike:

You have to join your brother on his turkey hunts. Those are two nice birds right there. Nicely done. Russ
3 244 Read More
Re: Heirloom Ithaca Jimmy W 04/22/24 11:05 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] I had a chance to buy one of these several years ago at the Grand American in Vandalia, Ohio. I believe Jaqua's had it for sale. It was really worn so I chose to pass on it. I was probably more interested in the Model 21s at the time. Gorgeous guns!!
20 728 Read More
Re: Improve Beretta Xtra Wood Finish Sun Dog 04/22/24 09:32 PM
Yeah. Amazing what those old Remington Nylon 66 rifles sell for now.
6 239 Read More
Re: 1914 Lefever DS SxS 16 gauge in great shape ChiefAmungum 04/22/24 09:21 PM
I have to second Daryl and Stanton's comments. Take some good pics, compile a good description and post it here, in the fore sale section! You have a good and possibly willing audience!

Chief
5 240 Read More
Re: DGJ Index III Southern Sport 04/22/24 08:37 PM
Just ordered mine. I was told it was looking like the first week of June for shipping. I just purchased the entire set from a member of another group from 2017 back to 1989. It included the first two indexes. The newer issues I already had. Looking forward to it.
9 880 Read More
Re: Beware of dealing with Gary Downey at Osprey Arms eightbore 04/22/24 04:40 PM
Daryl, I doubt that the two posters I questioned are referring to Tom Gibbons. I would guess that the dealers I am asking about are alive and well. I don't see the harm in naming the dealers in question if the stories are true, which I assume they are.
52 2,931 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Leather pads mark 04/22/24 02:03 PM
Nice
1 98 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 David Williamson 04/22/24 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by ChiefC
Sorry Eightbore,

Didn't see your input, I am unsure if 26" original or not or if I measured correctly. I simply lowered a measuring tape in the barrels until it bottomed out and I recall a rough measurement of 26". Maybe I'll remeasure, what do you believe they should be?

Oh, I also remember measuring the muzzle bore to confirm the gauge and it was at around 20mm.

Thanks
r,
ChiefC

They made 216 No. 0" with 26" barrels in 1901 and 1 with 24" barrels.
16 628 Read More

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.