Just taken it round to Paul Roberts at J. Roberts and Sons, Gunmakers. The good news is that it is well in proof with minimum wall thicknesses of about .030” on each barrel. Chokes about 5 thou and 9 thou.

The bad news is that a previous owner was not over careful about cleaning, and whilst it is still shootable there is a moderate amount of pitting that may affect patterns,

It is a Grade F16, a non-ejector and the cheapest Facile Princeps grade Greener offered before WW1.

It dates from 1904 and the Greener made Damascus barrels complete with Elephant trade marks have a nice pattern but will benefit from re-browning. Stan, I will try to take before and after pictures.

Greener stopped making Damascus tubes in house in 1903 so these tubes are likely to be some of the last ones they produced. Paul suggested that Greener might have been using up their stock of Damascus on their cheaper guns.

To have it re-bored to the next size up and hopefully get rid of the pitting with re-proof would likely cost £300 when it might then be worth £100.

I was tempted to do that but as it is shootable as it stands common sense prevails. I will strip and clean it, refinish the exterior of the barrels annd enjoy it for what it is.