June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
10 members (bushveld, azgreg, DaveB, fuhrmann, Drew Hause, 3 invisible), 386 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,614
Posts546,997
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Drew Hause, Karl Graebner, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Skeeterbd
Skeeterbd
Pressures, chamber lengths, cartridge lengths, once more. Please bear with me.

I have a number of Winchester Super-X 20 gauge 2 3/4 (70mm) cartridges. All the fired ones measure a tad over 67mm. Since my Rottweil Tiger cartridges are 67 mm on being fired and this is the allowed length for 2 1/2 the Winchester’s and Rottweils are comparable.

The CIP maximum service pressure for 20 gauges from 65 mm to 70mm chamber lengths is 830 Bar which is 12038 PSI.

The SAAMI pressure is 11500 PSI for 23/4 inch (70mm) cartridges.

Given the length of the fired cartridges not being long enough to enter the forcing cones and causing a spike in pressure there and given that max SAAMI pressures are below CIP max service pressures, would Winchester cartridges be usable in a 2 1/2 inch chambered, in proof, in excellent condition, British side by side 20 gauge?
Liked Replies
by Chukarman
Chukarman
Most vintage Brit 20s are proofed for 7/8 oz. loads. Most 16s are proofed for 1 oz. loads. I load for 2-1.2" 12, 16, and 20 bore Brit/Scottish guns.

I am often too lazy to trim hulls, reset loading machines, etc. to load true 2-1/2" hulls. Often I simply load my Win AA CF hulls with recommended 1-1/16th oz. (12 bore), 1 oz. (16 bore), or 7/8 (20 bore) loads. I just keep pressure under 8000 PSI or equivilent CUP and shoot away. My Atkin, Harkom and Robertson guns have never had a problem with this approach. IMO, Hull an additional 1/16" hull length is much less important than pressure and charge weight.
2 members like this
by Skeeterbd
Skeeterbd
Thank you Reverend Hause for the extra info. Actually the 67mm fired Winchester case is not long for 2 1/2 inch chambers as per admissible lengths for them as permitted under CIP rules. Their pressure is below the recommended service pressure so should be usable as Eightbore concurs. A friend regularly does so with his British twenty without ill effects but I am hesitant. These are factory loads with one ounce of shot. But it is the max pressure that matters I presume.

Thanks again

All the best

SkeeterBD
1 member likes this
by lagopus
lagopus
I would say 'No'. British 20 bores have a standard load for the 2 1/2" cartridges of just 13/16th. ounce and are quite mild in pressure against U.S. made ammo. Most U.S. ammo is designed to fire in semi-autos and the pressure needs to be higher to cycle the action. You would just be straining the gun beyond what it was designed for. In the 1970's Winchester cartridges were imported from the States and it was found that the popular Winchester AA clay round with 1 1/8th. ounce actually approximated what was only suitable in English guns proof tested to the 2 3/4 inch Magnum proof. Our Winchester stuff is now made in Italy to CIP standards. I still have a few boxes of the old U.S. made Winchester 'Upland' but will only use it in continental guns to 900Kgs. proof. Your option but not what I would do myself. Lagopus.....
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.