KY John- sounds like we had similar military experiences- REMF and the "Shake and Bake NCO's out of Benning"- rings some familiar bells- My first wife's Dad was a Sgt. in Patton's Third Army and went into Bastogne in Dec 1944. Patton believed that good accurate intel was worth an entire Div.- his G-2 chief Col. Otto Koch determined that the Germans would make a "last ditch effort". I have (presently out on loan) several books on Patton from the Military Book Club- great info-Patton was from a wealthy CA family- owned a vineyard and other real estate-both his Dad and GrandDad were VMI and West Pointers. Like most all Veterans who have seen the horror of combat, my late Father-In-Law never spoke much about his war experiences (He was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart-pulled two of his men out from German mortar fire and got shrapnel wounds in his legs-) and this is the first I've seen about a plot to kill the best Field Commander we had in WW11- Both Patton and Irwin Rommel shared this 4 word term for leadership however: "Officers Always Eat Last"!! RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 06/18/08 02:35 PM.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..