Consider Holland and Holland. They commenced selling guns around 1835. Their factory produced its first gun around 1890. Where do you suppose the guns for the first 55 years came from? What does pre-1890 advertising say about H&H as a gunmaker?

Way back when, there was no gun trade - anywhere (revolting thought, I know, but bear with me). The concept of gun technology became known, along with the formulation of black powder. Some few of the most creative craftsmen of the time taught themselves to make guns. They obviously did the whole enchalada. With each generation, guns got better and demand grew. To meet the growing demand, shops expanded and guilds were formed to protect the commerce. By the time guilds form, a trade is usually starting to specialize. Specilization promotes higher standards and higher production; first barrels and then locks for the now developing gun trade. Craftsmen find niches where they can prosper beyond working "on the books" in a single shop and become tradesmen. As the trade matured, many business models (of course, the men at the time were not aware they were working to a model) were tried with varying degrees of success. Classic master and workmen small shops faded early. Larger shops/small factories have shown the most staying power. Large factories, like Webley and Scott, had their hayday and have now faded.

I find it wonderful fun to unravel bits and pieces of this mystery. I fully believe that best guns can come with any name on them. The issue is not being shop made, rather quality control. Remember that guns were always made to a price point. Until the customer was willing to committ sufficient money, he got less than best.

Last edited by Rocketman; 06/17/08 08:27 AM.