June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (battle, jake van dyke, David Williamson, buckstix, Hugh Lomas, Argo44), 366 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,596
Posts546,852
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Also if you want a harder finish use gloss first then satin.

Hardness aside, one should always use gloss for all of the preliminary coats in any wood finishing project. All sheens other than high gloss contain flatting agents that obscure the grain.

Water base poly is harder than oil base, but can be brittle and is very difficult to perform spot repairs on. Scratches and dings will develop whitish edges and require more steps to repair. I won't use the stuff. For me, it's oil only.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In my brush with paints (pun), I recall talc was added to flatten them. I even recall the need to flatten an enamel for the metal ceiling panels for my bordello style dining room and I added a pile of baby powder. When I sprayed it, the smell of a fresh baby's bottom was everywhere.

Chuck H #99790 06/24/08 11:00 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, baby powder will work in a pinch for opaque coatings. Most commercially made coatings use some sort of silica mix for the flatting agent, and the environmental watchdogs in CA have made it more difficult to get those coatings. Up to a few years ago, one could buy flatting agents in 50 pound sacks from paint manufacturers, and then blend your own coating to get exactly the finish desired. Now, one must bring in the flatting agents from AZ. I think it's legal as long as it's not for commercial use.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah, they've created the need for a flattening "agent" within the FBI, with all these laws.

Chuck H #99878 06/24/08 11:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gets worse every year in CA. About the time I figure out all the tricks with various coatings and solvents, they change the formulations and I have to start over. I'm starting to stockpile paint the way some guys stockpile loading components.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Waterlox products on all my gunstocks; originally the thin, clear version, but lately the Original Satin version. In addition to all its other fine properties, I'm very partial to the sheen I get. The flatteners don't obscure the figure of any but the very darkest walnut blanks and I find that cutting the gloss by any method tends to muddy the look of very dark wood. All of these were done with the Satin and the darkest I own is the one without metal...

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Question for you termites out there familiar with Wipe-On Poly (oil): I've got about 4 or 5 coats on the oak doors, they look great but are not grain filled nor do I think this stuff will ever fill the coarse grain of the oak. Am I there yet? Or do I need to keep going? This is for the inside of the doors that open outward and will see some sun on occasion.

Chuck H #100286 06/27/08 10:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, open pore oak is incredibly difficult to fill with out using a filler/sealer first. I don't care for the filler/sealer because it changes the character of the wood in my opinion. Stand back a few feet and look at the door with some light from different angles. If you like what you see get an adult beverage and declare victory; if not put on another coat. You have enough for protection for an interior door.

Jim

jjwag69 #100292 06/27/08 11:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Filling the grain will have no significant effect on how well the doors are protected. It's purely cosmetic at this stage. If you decide you want to fill the grain, get some paste filler from a woodworking supply, add some PIGMENTED stain (ground pigments, not dye stain) to match the color of your oak, wipe it on, wipe it off across the grain after it sets up for a while, let it dry, then do it again until grain is filled to your satisfaction. After final application of paste filler is dry, give it a lite wet sanding with 360 or 400, then more wipe-on poly. Don't use dye stains or universal colorants because they will fade under exposure to sunlight. Pigmented stains are forever.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Victory declared! Beverage openned.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.