May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (eeb, Hammergun, 2 invisible), 620 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,560
Posts546,323
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

As always smart investors will pick up pieces. Especially high quality, when the economy is slow and or the dollar week because holding will hedge. But we all know that. The key I believe is to buy high quality and rare pieces. Stay away from the middle goop. Good guns will surface now, but they will be bought up almost as fast.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know........I just sold a nice Purdey that I just had never fallen in love with to a major sporting goods retailer and made out very well over the five or six years that I had it. They plan to make good money as well. If they sell it for anywhere near what they've got it priced they will too. We're not talking the highest of the high here but its still several tens of thousands of dollars that are involved. I think my experience speaks of a good higher end gun market right now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: rabbit
...by volume of interest and resale, these are the halcyon days of this hobby.

jack

I agree:
Vintagers.
Internet auctions.
Burgeoning "analogue" auctions.
The Double Gun and Single Shot Journal.

Spend 2000-4000 for an ugly, mass produced new gun and watch it depreciate, or spend that (or more) on a finely hand built vintage double and watch it appreciate and gain a great deal more pleasure from using it.
RG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gas prices have never gone up. Actually they have gone down. Back when gas was twenty-five cents a gallon and jumped to twenty eight cents we were really in a panic. We were only making fifty cents an hour. Back then you could buy a $150,000 home (at todays prices) for $9,000. But a school teacher only made $1,200.00 a year. Now around here they make $50-60,000 a year. Twinkies were .08 cents when they came out but it would take a month to save up that much when we were kids. Now, how many spoiled kids have to have a cell phone to send text messages (when 150 year old morse code is so much faster). (oh, you missed that episode on Jay Leno?) You have it made. Enjoy. One day you'll be talking how easy you have it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not going to get into a political discussion, nobody wins. BUT Diane and I drove from our home in NW Kansas to a Vintagers shoot at the NRA Whittington facility near Raton NM. We took hiway 27 from Goodland Kansas to Johnson Ks and then 160 across Colorado to Raton. On the way back, to visit kids we drove 64 to Clayton NW, Guymon Ok, and then 83 down to Perryton Texas. Then 83 back north to the ranch. All along the way we saw closed stores, abandoned towns, empty houses. 3 years ago there was some life along this route. Our town is now down to about 260 pop. from over a 1000 15 years ago. This country is in trouble, I am not smart enough to propose what to do about it. I do wonder, if any of the people we elect ever leave their fatcat offices long enough to see what is happening in the real world. Gun prices? Who cares......????

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last Dollar - I suspect they all went to the Cities to earn a better living. Me, I am in the (or real near) the city earning a living dreaming of the Llano Estacado.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Gun prices? Who cares.....????"
The real measure will be the gas hogs - my goin' and comings from the country has found a number of big pick-ups and SUVs parked along the roads with for sale signs in the windows.
These poor souls prolly have years to pay on them...and they tain't worth a dime. Much like a gun/rifle that's out of sorts - not worth much either. I feel for the guy with the almost kinda good Parker!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I agree that things do not look that bright for many, in this country. But before you give up all hope and move to a third world country, that has a "booming economy" and a life expectancy of 50-60 consider this one fact. Poor people in this country are fat, in the rest of the world they are skinny. I been there and seen it with my own eyes. Our worse is still better than most nations best.

The loss of the small town is the result of the loss of the small farm years ago. It is not possible for many to earn a living on a small or even medium size farm. It takes thousands of dollars for one tractor and hundreds of acres to pay for it. One farm became too small to keep up with the overhead. So farmers had to leave the farm to make ends meet. They have to go to town to earn a living. Now the small towns are becoming as economically unprofitable as the small farm did years ago. So the migration to larger towns, cities and the better jobs that they hold.

I have read that in one of the Dakotas they expect 25+% of towns to cease to exist in the next 25 years. Young people move away and only the old remain. They never move back and the old will pass on in the next few decades.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those farmers, sub-divided their land and made a killing doing so. They're alive n well living in big city and bright lights condos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was going to reply to the fOx....but I've lost what he said.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.