June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jem Finch, Owenjj3, DaveB, Beccaccia28, 2 invisible), 251 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,045
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pretty standard load for a 4 bore is 3 1/2 ounces.

I shot a borrowed one at driven ducks in Dorset a few years ago, the cartridges were loaded with 3 ounces and it didn't really kick much.

Was a big double Holland & Holland, probably weighed in at around 16 pounds.

He said with the 3 1/2 ounce charges he used for geese in Scotland did get your attention a bit more.

I killed what was probably the longest duck of my life with that gun, we paced it off at 70 some odd big steps.

Destry

Last edited by MarketHunter; 05/15/08 04:16 AM.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

A "buttie" is a fried potato sandwich .... Sometimes called a Chip sandwich. At the high class places they are fried in butter .... at the pubs near the ports they are fried in bacon drippings .... yummmmmmm . Just the thing to set you up for a night of strong ale .....

Al

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are pretty good, though I prefer the bacon and egg ones myself. I've sat many a morning waiting for the shop to open so we could get one before going out shooting.

Destry

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The reality of butties is certainly more appetizing than the first impression I had of the word.

MarketHunter what size shot would you expect to put in a 3 ounce
load?

Thanks for sharing the information - very interesting.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone ever seen a 10 bore or bigger gun with riviling in front of the choke sections? I've seen 12's, but can't recall seeing a 10 so damaged. I believe the cause is large shot bridging which causes a gas hammer. The tendancy to bridge goes down with smaller shot size to bore diameter. I wonder if 10's are just big enough for fowling shot or if they have enough thicker barrels to resist the gas hammer. Thoughts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The cartridges I was shooting were the owners hand loads in his turned aluminum cases and I believe they were loaded with English #4 bismuth. In England you have to shoot non-toxic for waterfowl, even on driven ducks.

Up in Scotland another friend and I were shooting 8 bores and we had cartridges loaded with everything from American #2 (nickle) to English AAA. This was a 2 1/2 ounce charge of shot.

Destry

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sounds like fun - thanks for the reply Desty.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Burrard listed both standard & Low Velocity loads for the 4 bore in 4" & 4¼" cases. Standard was 9 dram x 3¼ oz for the 4" case & 9¼ dram x 3½ oz for the 4¼" case. The LV load was 8dram x 4oz & 8¼dram x 4oz respectfully for the short or long case.
1904 rules of proof show the 9dram x 3¼ozload as the "Service Charge" for all bbls proved from 6 (.919") through 5/2 (1.026"). Note that true 4 ga dimensions (1.052") are seldom found in shotguns as most were built for paper cases with a bore dia of about .935" & proved as a 6ga. Chamber dimensions had originally been set I believe for round ball guns using Thin Brass cases. All above loads are Black Powder loads of course, but smokeless was similar.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Perfect quail gun for Chuck H.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
Perfect quail gun for Chuck H.

Does Chuck even know a quail can be shot in the air?

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.