Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess I've never really understood the determination of parameters for proof testing. If a a piece of machinery is built to withstand specific stress limits, how do you determine how far beyond those limits should be considered safe? To me, it's kinda like taking my new car out and revving the engine a few thousand RPM beyond the redline just to make sure everything's o.k. If it was o.k. before, it very well might not be afterward. I'd be interested in knowing how many guns failed proof testing during the lifetimes of the Parker Brothers, Smith, Fox, or Ithaca companies. Bill Frech

LCSMITH

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
In the past three years it seems to have gone from bad to worse - it is almost as if they don't like the gun trade (but that is paranioa on my part). Very hard to get people to talk openly because we are all tied to them and entrusting thousands of pounds worth of our business to their good offices. Nobody wants to be on their 'sheet list'.

I'm surprised that it's taken this long for this to pop up on a BB. This has been a problem for quite some time. I was warned off and redirected to Birmingham a while back. What I keep getting from the trade is it's the London PM.

"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."
Sidelock
Sidelock

It maybe just another way of taking dear ol'grandpop's gun off the moors(streets in the New World Order lingo).
Oh sorry mate - it went to bits yesterday!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thorny, very insightful of you. And in the case of the alleged blown Purdey pair,
not only are two guns off the street but a "bloody capitalist pig" gets it.

(I am almost serious here.)

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

JC, do you think Al Gore works for the London Proof House?
It's a funny world, with alot of fingers in alot of pies!

Sidelock
Sidelock

BF - you have brought up two differing cases; destructive testing and non-destructive testing. During the design phase, it is common to test to failure to see if the article meets expectations. If not, the designer will strengthen the design. If expectations are exceeded too much, the article will get "cut back" a bit. It may or may not be necessary to fully test serial production. If you do, for sure you will be using non-destructive tests. Proof is just such a non-destructive test. The gun is examined and measured prior to firing a known heavy load. After firing, it is re-examined for any damage or change in dimensions. Guns are designed in such a way and built of such materials that failure after proof testing is very, very unlikely, barring abusive use or conditions.

Your car design underwent a whole series of destructive tests before release to production and your individual car underwent a whole series of non-destructive tests as it progressed down the assembly line. The design of car building is such that it is not envisioned that the consumer needs to perform tests of his/her own beyond normal operation. Same with gun proof; the consumer does not need to reproof the gun on some schedule. Actually, only gunmakers are allowed to submit guns for proof (as I recall). They submit only guns that have had modifications or repairs that could possibly make the gun unsafe; for example, lengthening the chambers or honing/reaming out deep pits.

American guns are self-certified by the manufacturer, so we have no idea as to failure rates (although I'd be they were very low). European guns are tested at government proof houses, so there may be records as to failures. I'd still bet on low rates - makers can't afford to have big investments disappear in a flash of light and a puff of smoke.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Actually, only gunmakers are allowed to submit guns for proof (as I recall).

Not true, at least until about 5 years ago. I submitted my own gun to the Birmingham House, mailed it direct (pre-1898 gun). They accepted it, proved it, the charge was less than $100.

They would not, however, return it to me. Seems they don't have an export license so I had to pay the $400 "carriage" charge our cousins love to collect for mailing a gun back to the states.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are these brand new guns or old and possibly altered guns, or don't we know?

Sorry, I missed the original post that must have discussed this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why don't you hold poor billionaires hand and cry together, oh please!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tacky, Jag, very tacky!! What reason do you have for depricating anyone's misfortune, reguardless of his financial status?? Purdey's is the one who will take it on the chin. There are some very fine people who's jobs are put at risk by this event, if true.

Second part to consider. If this can happen to a new gun, as seems likely if the story is true, consider that your 'ole beater could be next if it ever requires reproof.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.