I tend to agree with the most recent comments. We have to stop and realize that there is a finite supply of "fine" guns out there, if we're talking classic, used pieces. Instead of the relatively small number of dealers that have been in the doublegun business mostly for a long time--guys like Thad Scott, for example, who may now be going out of business--we now have far more players in the field. And because of the hours places like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Scheels etc operate, can you really expect them to have someone on hand, all the time, who's an expert on shotguns, rifles, and handguns to the degree many of us here are on doubles?

Have never dealt with Bass Pro. A lot of their prices do look outlandish. Have dealt a lot with Cabela's. Some of their prices are way too high. Have done a fair amount of business with Scheels, but less than Cabela's. Both Scheels and Cabela's do have great "satisfaction guaranteed" policies. Cabela's will also give you what you paid for any gun you bought from them if you take it in to trade on a higher dollar gun. I've told the story here before, but it probably bears repeating. A few years ago, I bought a 16ga Greener from them. Had a well-hidden crack in the wrist which neither I nor the Gun Library head honcho noticed. Anyhow, the stock broke clean through the wrist on about the 2nd shot on the skeet range. So I call them, not in a terribly happy mood--but knowing very well I'll get my money back. Bill Taylor, now at Julia's but then running the Owatonna Gun Library, asks me what I'd like them to do. So I take a wild shot and say "I'd like to keep the gun. Would you restock it for me?" They did, and they paid for it.