June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, eightbore, Ted Schefelbein), 451 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,583
Posts546,720
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Hallquist:

I thought you to be something of a scribe; so are you going to accept the undertaking?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 03/01/08 10:23 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,
There may been more than you imagine. Have you asked Tim?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

I have several sources, but the best single source is an article for an Arms & Armor Society written in the 1950's. If my brain was working right now, I could quote chapter and verse, but I just can't get it out of the cob webs. One book (awesome book) I can pull off the top of my head is Early Percussion Firearms, by Lewis Winnant. There are also a couple of books by Merrill Lindsay with some good information. In his book 100 great guns (IIRC), he has a photo of a Robert made Pauly in 20 bore.

George Hoyem (whom I've had some conversations with) has covered the Pauly cartridges in one of his books.

I have a friend who has not only seen, but handled the two guns in the Royal collection, one of which was made by Durs Egg.

Vintage and Double Gun Loony
Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

The first source I cited, is an article in the December 1957 Edition of the Journal of the Arms & Armor Society and the article is entitled Pauly, Gun-Designer, by, W. Reid.

This is by far, the most authoratative work on Pauly and the most complete. My copy was given to me by the Arms & Armor Curator of the New York Metropolitan Museum. Most serious students of Arms & Armor consider this article to be the best source on Pauly, and I would have to agree.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kevin:

Thanks for taking the time to search and to reply w/ the info. I have a couple copies of "Firearms Curiosa' by Lewis Winant but he only briefly mentions Pauly. If you have any surplus books or any leads, please let me know by email.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

There's a very cheap used copy of Early Percusson Firearms on Amazon used books right now. This is an outstanding book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...7347&sr=1-4

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, I would love to see an article, but really don't know enough to write something. I guess I could copy Winnant etc , but anyone interested can read that. Crudington and Baker have a bit, too. A few years ago in Las Vegas, there were two gun by Pauly. They were on separate tables. One was a double rifle and the other was wonderfully engraved and inlayed. I wish I could have taken those pieces of history home.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Hallquist:

I have attempted to order the book from Kevin's post and hopefully over time a sufficient number of Pauly texts will be put together and someone can at least compare and combine, and then pen such an article.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, it sounds good to have people looking for info on Pauly. For and article, I'm sure some photos of the local gun can be had. Somewhere I have seen the Pauly rifle and shotshells, too. Maybe just pictures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To return to the original question, the percussion SXS surely looks very French/Belgian. Similar designs were made well into the cartridge era and can be seen in the 1911 Alfa catalog.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.