June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 458 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,612
Posts546,976
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Western Arms Long Range, 12 ga. Given to me by my Grandfather so I could hunt deer at 14, after my Dad cut the stock down so I could shoot it - Still have it. Got a four point that year and another one with one antler two years later. Excused days off from High School to go deer hunting! Used it for Wood Duck, Pheasant, and the occasional Goose later on. Also a Fox Sterlingworth 12 ga carried my late great-uncle. We revered that Fox, and knew it was something special compared to my Western Arms (Ithaca made).

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One of the better turn of the century feedstore bought guns might just be the RAC A grade 1894. Anytime you can buy a gun, coal oil and feed from the same place on account - can't be bad!
Utility has its own style and place in the cosmos - in the long run, it'll be the field grades that will be remembered - as everyman had one!

Sidelock
Sidelock

The relpies didn't sound like the dream you had did they ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's another ol' time favorite you guys might remember......the Winchester Model 42. My father didn't hunt and never had that much in the way of guns. Both of my grandfathers died before I was born. My uncle was the hunter in the family..... everything from deer to squirrel. And everytime we went out rabbit hunting- out came this beat up, worn out, Model 42 he had. And he could shoot the ears of a flea with it too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nobody has dreams of sleeving a "Top ' O the field grade"....

Those, are properly called nightmares.
Best,
Ted

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

HD,
To answer your question, the question was, "What did your father and/or grandfather actually shoot? Model, bbl, length, &c."

Some answers have wandered from that original question, probably causing you some further confusion.

My answer(s) to the question:

My father shot a 12ga. field grade Winchester model 97 w/28" bbl.

My paternal grandfather shot a 12ga. Parker, but I cannot tell you which model as it was lost to posterity before I arrived.

My maternal grandfather shot a 12ga. Belgian SxS guild gun w/30" Damascus bbls. & Jones under lever.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

j0e, I hit the large antique malls looking for old working duck decoys - didn't find a one.
Asked at an up-scale shop why?
Interest in rustic America is at an all-time high, and all the decoys are in Kansas City for the large show.
Bring lots of money she said!
The dream is alive 'n well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell you're about 20 years to late for the Antique malls....you might look on Ebay.

Teddy did someone tug on yer chain ?.....I never saw mention of a a Mossberg ...Darne it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Great Grandfather hunted with a double probably a Belgium (JABC) my Dad's father had a Meriden, little is know about it except that my Grandmother always called it, "that old black thing in the basement", my Father hunted with a LC Smith 12 gauge, 28 inch barrel, field grade which is close to 100% condition as my Father gave up hunting after he started a family. All double guns as it all started back in the coal mining region of Uniontown PA with my Great Grandfather teaching my Grandfather how to hunt way before those stinkin repeaters showed up!!!
All the best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowell, a picker came around about 20 years ago and asked what I wanted for some sea duck decoys in a shed---"coots" (whitewing scoters) bought for $1 each in my rush for a hunt on another shore. "Oh, a dollar and a quarter," I said, just to get rid of them and him. He peeled off $125 for each of two dozen. The decoys were weathered no-name decoys made by a school chum. The world's gone crazy: my $3.50 whistler and bluebill decoys are being bought elsewhere for $1,000 each.

Last edited by King Brown; 02/07/08 11:37 AM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.