I guess it's a matter of "class" I knew a lot of my father's generation who served with the British Army during WWII who were Marine Commandos, Special Ops, SOE, etc who would never talk about what they did, and an Air Force uncle of mine who had to go to Buckingham Palace to be awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross from King George VI himself, and would not even tell my dad where he was going, he was embarrased by the whole thing.
When he got back he did say to my dad who wondered where he went, he said "up to Buck House for a gong I did not deserve"
Well, he sank a heavily armed Italian MTB off Malta (which was about to torpedo a Brit merchant vessel loaded with tanks and fuel),in a Spitfire, with gunfire, dived down and had just about had his plane shredded about him, spent a while in a raft.....never would talk about it because the fuss embarrassed him. Pretty classy guy.
I spent many years as an Olympic class Field referee, did many World Cups, two Olympics, USA Shooting Shotgun spring and fall matches man those guys and girls at the top are so classy.
Never bother a ref, too focussed on their game. Brett Erickson, step up and take a bow, Kim Rhode, Connie Schiller, Terry DeWitt, Lance Bade, Josh Lakatos, Shaun Dulohery, Todd (Fuzz)Graves, Dom Grazioli, Cindy Gentry, Shari Legate, Joetta Novinsky, Cindy Shenberger, thanks for being so classy and making our referee's job so easy in the hot sun.
I did go slumming once, when we had the NSSA Skeet Championships in Winnipeg, Canada, my home town. I got pressed into helping out as a referee. I used to shoot that geezer game before I went into International skeet.
I had no fun at that NSSA shoot because of the begging for targets, I could not believe it. "Ref that bird, (station 7) was way outside and it was broken as well!"
Then why did you shoot at it instead of lowering your gun and putting you hand up? I said. Then one of his squad got pretty loud and horrible and accused me of being blind and stupid, and some worse things, so I handed him the button and told him if he was so .....clever he could referee and I left the field and went home.
So it's a matter of class, I like classy people, they are nice to be around
hoo