June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (BGlass, steve f, Owenjj3), 279 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,616
Posts547,045
Members14,428
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob, Yes Riley came from a local breeder.However he comes from a line of champion show dogs not hunters. His great grand father won Westminster several years ago and his brothers and sisters are local champions. I could not assure you that another dog from this breeder would hunt as well as Riley.
We took Riley along on a Pheasant hunt one day on a whim.
Dang if that dog didn't start to hunt! A couple of bird wings and a few weeks later and he knew what I wanted him to do. I attribute his quick training to the breeds intelligence not any skill on my part.I just made a game of it and was patient and consistent.
I'm sure if you get in contact with a hunting breeder they could point you in the direction of a breeder near you. Bob

The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness.
-John Muir

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know lots and lots about this. I have a Poodle bred out of "Oakwind's Time to Burn." You can google the name. He is owned by Jaci Bowman in Wisconsin.
There is a VERY active group of folks out there breeding hunting Poodles and running Standard Poodles in hunting trials. You can go to http://www.vipoodle.org/ and look around there.

I am a member of a yahoo list serve group, which goes by the name of "HuntingPoodle@yahoogroups.com. It is a closed group but would welcome someone who really wanted to get involved with hunting poodles.

They are breeding some GREAT hunting poodles. And, the bonus is that there is no better dog than a poodle, period.

I would be happy to converse with you privately about this. I can give you some of the absolute top names in the country for hunting poodles.

Best Regards, Jake

Last edited by Jakearoo; 02/01/08 01:23 AM.

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad and I hunted for years with a guy who had a Standard Poodle and of all things an Airdale. The Poodle was an outstandiing dog. Pheasants in Michigan were the quarry...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't the French police use standard poodles because they are so intelligent and because of that are so easy to train???
All the best

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jakearoo
I know lots and lots about this. I have a Poodle bred out of "Oakwind's Time to Burn." You can google the name. He is owned by Jaci Bowman in Wisconsin.
There is a VERY active group of folks out there breeding hunting Poodles and running Standard Poodles in hunting trials. You can go to http://www.vipoodle.org/ and look around there.

I am a member of a yahoo list serve group, which goes by the name of "HuntingPoodle@yahoogroups.com. It is a closed group but would welcome someone who really wanted to get involved with hunting poodles.

They are breeding some GREAT hunting poodles. And, the bonus is that there is no better dog than a poodle, period.

I would be happy to converse with you privately about this. I can give you some of the absolute top names in the country for hunting poodles.

Best Regards, Jake

Jake, PM sent.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jake, you out there?

Please contact me @ recoil@optonline.net

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the early seventies I lived in the Garden District of New Orleans and had a standard white. I would walk her down to Audubon Park, which is about a square mile of city park across the street from Tulane Univ. I would encounter guys working their gun dogs. In the course of conversation I would say something like, "Gee, someday I hope to have a good gun dog." Time after time after time I was told about a guy from southern Louisiana that had two standard blacks that he would enter in open trials. It was never a matter of whether his dogs would do any good, but more a matter of which one would get first and which would get second.

Ten years later I was casting about for a wire-haired pointer. They were fairly new in the country at that time and you could about count the number of breeders on your fingers and toes. I probably talked with most of them and kept hearing the same story about the end-all of wire-haired pointers. I finally tracked down the guy that had this end-all pointer and he lived in Pearl River, north of New Orleans. I told him my poodle story. He said, "My God, those were my dogs! Well, one of them was. The first dog I trained was my wife's poodle, and that was done on a bet. The second dog was easy."

I will say that I still regard that standard white as far and away the smartest dog I have ever owned. I regret that she was my first dog and wish that I would have known then what I know now about dogs. They are, however, high maintenance, what with the need for trims and their propensity for bringing half the field home in their coat.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ithaca5E

I will say that I still regard that standard white as far and away the smartest dog I have ever owned. I regret that she was my first dog and wish that I would have known then what I know now about dogs. They are, however, high maintenance, what with the need for trims and their propensity for bringing half the field home in their coat.

I've reconciled myself to the maintenance issue, now I'm in the hunt for a good breeder of dogs with hunting lines.

Rob

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ithaca5E
They are, however, high maintenance, what with the need for trims and their propensity for bringing half the field home in their coat.

Well, yes and no. Poodles don't shed. So they are clean as a whistle in the house. No allergies from them either. They do require a bit of REGULAR maintenance. But, if you give them a bit of a brush every day and a shower or bath about once every two weeks and the occasional trim, they are very trouble free. And, they are remarkably clean animals.

Regards, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net
Sidelock
Sidelock

Get a load of the current cover dog of "Bird Dog and Retreiver News"
Bird Dog News

Best regards, Bob

The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness.
-John Muir

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.