June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Marks_21, fallschirmjaeger, LRF, 1 invisible), 491 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,660
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Remington 17 sounds interesting. I have one that I should sell, since, it hasn't been used in a very long time. It was my first repeater, but, many more have come and gone.

Show us pictures when it is done!
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gill,

I am very much looking forward to your pictures of your model 17. I picked up a nice first year 17, #51xx. Unmolested and different in a few ways from the other 17s I have/had. My go to gun is a 17 deluxe with a poly. I shoot it very well and it patterns really nice for a 20.

Ted,

I'll always be running a rescue service for 17s so if you really need to sell I'll either have a home for it or find one for it!

"Not all who wander are Lost"
-Hoppie 14'
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim,
"Need" isn't really the operative here. I just notice so many folks re-discovering a gun I cut my teeth on, and helped a bunch of other people, mostly kids, do the same with. It makes me sad, in a strange way, to see it back in the corner of my safe, second barrel propped up against it, and I've just moved on to bigger fish, it seems. I don't use it.
I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
Best,
Ted

Jimmy W #79332 01/24/08 11:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jimmy W
Messing with the chokes will make it worthless.

sounds like the people who, when i was into colt SAA's told me shooting factory engraved guns would destroy their value. found out when i got rid of them later that their value was nowhere near destroyed.

several points:

1) i've never seen a worthless model 12.
2) don't mess with the original condition 16
3) the 20 would be a perfect skeet gun. opening the choke on it, in its refinished state, would not affect the value 5 cents in either direction. it most assuredly won't make the gun worthless.
4) going from a model 12 to an 870 is not moving in a smart direction
5) if you like the 20, do what you need to do to make it what you want it to be and shoot it till you wear it out.

rwmckee #79335 01/25/08 12:25 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=fnb25][quote=Jimmy W] [/4) going from a model 12 to an 870 is not moving in a smart direction.

That 'sorta depends on some other pertinant facts, don't you think? A model 12 never broke a single target more than an 870 simply because it was a model 12. Fact is, if a guy is concerned about resale value and asking questions about impacting same, the gun stands a better than good chance of being on the chopping block someday. Sometimes, with some guns, it is nice to make the thing more useful to one's own form of shooting and not give a rat's pitoot about how it will affect any value down the road.

There is where an 870 is a force to be reckoned with.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aw, geez, not this again...

I have a bunch of Mod 12's and 1912's, and a somewhat smaller bunch of 870's. If I could keep only ONE shotgun, it would be my 870 Wingmaster Magnum. Almost as well finished as my Win's and definitely more reliable. 870's do not need firing pins replaced.

I'd only modify a Mod 12 if it's a beater or if I could return it to original (like the upgraded factory wood I'm putting on my 20 ga factory VR two barrel set with matching numbers in 98% condition). Keep the original wood in a labeled box. Don't mess with the chokes on a nice Mod 12, especially if you have not yet mic'd the chokes, played with various loads, and patterned the guns.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Since I recently sold two Colt Pythons that were new, in the box with paperwork and the plastic locks still on the triggers- at the Louisville gun show, yes, they went for quite a bit more than the ones that were fired. Taking a nice Model 12 and putting screw in chokes? Don't be surprised if you don't get more than a few hundred dollars for it someday- if people even look at it at all. If you are going to use a Model 12 for skeet, it doesn't sound like you are going to try to be really competitive and will be shooting more for the fun of it. So keeping the Model 12 original and trying something else would be my choice. Original Model 12s are getting harder to find and taking a nice one and opening up the chokes? Have you given any thought to putting a thumb hole through the stock and maybe some camouflage tape on it? That would be cool. To each his own.

Jimmy W #79356 01/25/08 04:06 AM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Or here is one way to look at it: which would bring more money- an original Model 12, 28 gauge or the same gun with a poly choke on it?

rwmckee #79361 01/25/08 07:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, going to 870 is a big mistake for the following reasons:
1. It's still made so parts are readily available.
2. Newer ones come with Remchokes and we certainly would not want that feature especially using extended ones with gradual taper for steel, HS,....
3. Dual action rails assure that if one breaks the gun will still work. We certainly don't want that if it breaks it should be rendered useless!
4. When one takes the barrel off only the barrel comes off. Now that's too darn easy and the barrels tend to be cheaper. Now that's no go we should all go with that stupid Winchester design where the barrel and mag comes off as one piece that way it's more expensive to buy replacement.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Come on, Jag, that "stupid" design was almost 100 years ago. At that time it was state of the art.

Ole Cowboy
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.