June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Parabola), 505 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,671
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ron Vella
Acier Simon-Martin is not actually a maker. That is French for Simon-Martin steel. If I remember correctly that was an early electric reduction process for refining steel.

"Le Qui est Qui de L'Armurerie Liègeoise 1800-1950", par Guy Gadisseur, Michel Druart. Page 333,
"Abréviation SM, Titulaire Aciers Simon-Martin, Profession Canons de fusil"

I wasn't translating, it was a direct quote about a company. Simply forgot to note the source. There is not enough documentation available to accurately give a range of operational dates or location. They did register their "punch" with the Banc D'Epreuves des Arms a Fue Liège as SM.

The process you are referring to is the Siemens-Martin process which was an enhancement of the Bessemer process. I do not believe it was an electric furnace when invented in 1865. Aciers Simon-Martin was a Belgian barrel maker who was taking advantage of the confusion their name would cause.

Glenn, pay no attention. I have been in your Wisconsin forests and barely escaped from those vicious grays lurking the branches. I hear the WDNR is now issuing squirrel alerts on a regular basis to warn the tourists. Something about the nuts from Illinois makes them crazy.... Though I was told by a local that Green & Gold hats calm them down.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Give the guy a break, he needed a recoil pad on this gun, so a squirrel probably was dangerous game in his mind.

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PeteM

Though I was told by a local that Green & Gold hats calm them down.

Pete

Heh, heh, that's a good one. Said local must have recognized you as a Flatlander. Fact is most of the squirrels are rabid Bear fans, dating back to when the team moved its training camp up into the heart of Wisconsin squirrel country. It seems that the squirrels are particularly cranky this year...

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Flobert?...looks like a Warnant to me....or do I have it backwards?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Warnant is Belgian and Flobert is French

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Glenn
Heh, heh, that's a good one. Said local must have recognized you as a Flatlander. Fact is most of the squirrels are rabid Bear fans, dating back to when the team moved its training camp up into the heart of Wisconsin squirrel country. It seems that the squirrels are particularly cranky this year...

This one was photographed shortly before an attack just outside the Elkhorn restaurant in Clam Lake.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete:

If you are out in the oaks and you see a small phone booth...

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have been doing some serious squirrel hunting this fall with a high powered pellet gun and they ARE hard to kill. Even a head shot doesn't always stop them before they run off. Going through the lung cavity sometimes means they can run back home before their lungs fill up with blood and die. They make 'em tough around here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have squirrel hunted for well over 50 yrs now & drawn my own conclusions as to suitable arms. I have always found the squirrel to be a tough, vivacious little animal which deserves adequate "Killing". Over the years suspect I have lost more hit ones than any other game I have hunted. While I will occasionally use a shotgun my prefered arm is a .22 RF. I like the 40gr LR in a flat point, but absolutely do not want the "Crack" of a high velocity round. When a "Gang" of squirels are cutting a single tree, I have found that Supersonic "Crack" the most efficient "Tree-Emptier" possible to find, while with a subsonic they simply continue feeding. I have fired an old Stevens Favorite in .25 Stevens RF & with it's 60 gr flat point bullet @ 1050 fps was as quite as a .22 short. I feel if these were still readily available would be the ideal squirel gun. The 29gr wt of the .22 short can give reliable kills with head shots, but of all the various .22's I have hunted with over the years none would shoot them accurate enough (all were average guns chambered in LR). I have absolutely no desire to go less than this nor to see how "Minimum" I can use & still kill a squirrel. Most "Cheap" .22's with a litle ammo selection are simply superior to the finest pellet guns ever built at collecting squirrels (just one rednecked hillbilly's opinion).

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.