June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, FlyChamps, 3 invisible), 339 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,595
Posts546,847
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
With these prices, soon waterfowl hunting will only be for the very wealthy or for the recently divorced husband.
All the best

That's funny, and I suppose somewhat sad. But, realistically, hunting has been increasing in cost overall for many decades. In Europe (yes England is in Europe too) the high cost has long been prohibitive for many. In the US, more often than not, long travel and high cost non-resident fees are endured to hunt for the 20 mil hunters out there. With public access hunting habitat shrinking, average costs will keep going up until it's an elitist activity. Hopefully, that'll keep until I'm no longer hunting. But it's still fairly expensive. This weekend, to go dove hunting at Blythe, some 200 miles away, I'll spend $150 on gas, $150 for a 2 nite room, maybe $30 on 410 shells, and probably $100 loose cash on miscellaneous dinners, beer, etc. Now I'm going to split the gas and room with my friend but still I'm looking at a $300 weekend without considering any hunting equipment... and this is the second weekend in a row of this same template.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am spoiled by having well-stocked shelves of bismuth and lead, hulls, powders, primers etc from buying lots when I'd get a good cheque over the years. There's a big difference in reloading costs from even six or seven years ago. I'm using powders at $1.50 a can from 50 years ago. I rationalized stockpiling by saying I'm buying it for when I'm old and poor---and now I am, with barely a thought of the cost of gunning.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck in Blythe.....I lieved there for 8 years and rarely hunted there other than on the CRIT reservation. I always went east to avoid the crowdsalong the river.

I is better to visit there than live through the summers!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everything about duck hunting is expensive these days.
A box of shells can buy you a day in prime pheasant country.
Uppity duck clubs on the river can cost you a couple of smallbore quail guns per year.
The good things are - ducks can be shot where there are ponds, lakes and rivers - no trips to windblowin' northern climes.
It is now the elite shooting sport - and you gotta pay to play.
Btw Chuck, there's not a chap that would agree with you about England being in Europe!

Sidelock
Sidelock

to quote Lowell...'Btw Chuck, there's not a chap that would agree with you about England being in Europe!"

Chuck,
Wikipedia, and every resource in every library from China to South America...in every language ....says that England is located, geographically, on the European Continent. Don't worry Chuck, about 6.6 billion people agree with you.

See for yourself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England

Last edited by Robert Chambers; 11/17/07 09:48 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wikipedia - is just a jam session mate!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I took my son deer hunting this morning and we set up around a pond. When we left a large flock of ducks (very small and fast flying) flew off the pond. A hawk or falcon of some kind flew out of a tree into the flying ducks and took one down. I wish I had a video of it.
Ross

Sidelock
Sidelock

I keep bringing this up, and I keep getting no answer-what are you guys going to feed those classic smallbores when lead is outlawed, nationwide, in perhaps 5-7 years?

Various state DNR departments have told us this was coming. Sooner, rather than later.

Are you guys that have ordered a spanking new RBL in 28 going to watch in disbelief as pheasants (someone on a board somewhere is always assuring me his 28 is more than enough for pheasants) grouse and woodcock fly off with steel shot wounds that allow escape, but, assure a slow, painful death?

Are you going to shoot clay pigeons with $3 per round loads packed with, what might as well be, moon rocks?

This is an answer that I'm very interested in hearing. Since, loaded with steel, I can't believe there could possibly be a more useless gun in the field for wild fowl than ANY 28 gauge. Keeping in mind, of course, that manufacturers likely wouldn't bother loading .410 with steel hunting loads, even if some idiot might buy them. If a 12 loaded with steel is considered marginal for wild birds, what is a 20 or 28 loaded with steel going to be considered?

An "Expert's" gun? Do tell.

Best,
Ted

Ted,

If lead is banned nationally there will be more small bore offerings in the non-tox, the market will demand it. In a modern gun Hevi-Shot will be the answer. Personally I think it is better than lead and shoot it for wild birds in any acceptable gun.

Also, banning lead for targets will be several years behind doing so for hunting.

DH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lead is ALREADY banned for targets in some places. I have used steel, on occasion, out of a 12 gauge, for shooting clay pigeons, and it does work, however, a clay pigeon "dies" much easier than a December rooster.

Hevi-shot is better than lead. But, I can't see it getting any cheaper, regardless of what the market demands.

Tungsten is a strategic material, after all. There are far, far, more important uses for it, than civilians shooting at birds.

I also can't see going out to a clays course with four or five boxes of 28 gauge hevi-shot loads for some pleasant afternoon shooting. Wal Mart sells Winchester lead AAs for $9 a box.

If we assume the mark-up difference between 12 and 28 loads will remain about the same, what would the price of a box of 28s loaded with hevi-shot be?

A box of 12 gauge lead AAs is about $5 at Wal Mart. Should we figure about double the price for 28 gauge hevi-shot, over the 12 gauge loadings?

This is going to be an expensive pastime.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.