Originally Posted by Hammergun
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I would still be afraid of being around ammo in a house fire. If you were a fireman, you would wonder if there was any black powder inside. I believe the primers can still come out of the bullets. I threw some blank .22 shells from a blank pistol in a trash fire years ago. One of them exploded and came out of the fire and hit me in my shoulder and cut me. It was strong enough to put out my eye. I understand primers do the same thing. All kinds of weird things happen in a fire. And if you know someone has ammo, you can figure there are loaded guns, too.

The firefighting gear provides plenty of protection. There are many ways to get killed fighting a fire and ammo cooking off is way down on the list.

I realize that. I was a firefighter. And guns, ammunition, powder, and it's changing composition during a fire, etc. is still something to be aware of. And like you said, black powder is another story. Watch the different videos on youtube. If it's safe in a fire, why do the people run and hide when they throw it in a fire? The one video shows that bullets will penitrate a block of gel sitting next to the fire. It's down on the list of danger, but like you said, it is still on the list. You don't know what is in people's houses now days. Did you ever walk into a building and find a case of unstable dynamite? I did. And if firefighters are in a house and they hear explosions going off, I can't blame them for wanting to leave the house and hitting it with water from the outside. But, thanks for the reply. I really appreciate your opinion.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 04/23/24 10:56 AM.