I understand what you are saying, Lloyd. 12 ga. guns are surely the most practical of all. The mitigating factor that makes a big difference is the physical size of the 12 ga. gun. A 20 ga. gun is much more "slim and trim" in the hands, and less bulky, as is the ammunition, which can make them a good bit more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, imo. That is an undeniable "feature" to small bore shotguns. I dismissed the 16 ga. a long time ago, though I grew up shooting an Ithaca 37 16. It just doesn't achieve anything worth speaking about other than setting one apart from the crowd anymore. For those who use a 16, I'm glad you enjoy them. My good buddy Stan has an absolute peach of a 16 he really enjoys, an L. C. Smith Field Grade with ejectors, single trigger, and lovely 32" barrels that I think is one of his best buys ever. The 28 ga. is, to me an answer to a question nobody asked, but as I've said numerous times here before, it serves to relieve boredom with your battery, which is fine, but don't ask me to buy into it being significantly advantageous over a light 20. Not judging, just saying...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.