Originally Posted by 12boreman
Plastic wads definitely seal better and give more uniform results both in pressure and velocity. They do not however seal very well in an all brass case so you generally have to use organic materials. I like shooting black powder and I like plastic wads. If I'm feeling nostalgic I will load fiber wads in paper or brass cases with black powder. Some say you can't shoot plastic cases with plastic wads and use black powder. That is total baloney! Will you get more plastic fouling? Obviously yes. I don't like roll crimping because it takes too much time. I can load all of my gauges except .410 with black powder in plastic cases and then crimp them on my single stage MEC press. You have to use a very low wad because of the internal volume that black powder takes up. I still load 80 grains of black in a Fiocchi or Federal 12 gauge plastic case using a Win AA 12 red wad with 1 1/16 ounce of shot. This is a beautiful load that is easy to load in a single stage press. To reduce fouling while shooting a round of skeet or sporting clays I will often alternate a smokeless load with a black powder load.

I certainly have not been able to load black and Win AA hulls and wads without copious amounts of plastic fouling that takes much longer to remove than roll crimping does. I also worry that the amount of fouling is enough to substantially raise pressures, and maybe damagingly so, if followed by smokeless rounds.

With Cheddite hulls, I get small pinprick like holes burned through the hulls so they are generally one-and-done loads. The Win AA hulls will last 2-3 BP loads before the case mouths deteriorate.

I have loaded black in a progressive press without much problem, but not with plastic wads. I'd love to know how you do that.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]