Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Six pound 12-gauge doubles aren't common, but a few do exist. Lincoln Jeffries' guns comes to mind, the occasional Lindner-Dailey, as well as the Thomas Turner Lightweights. What differentiates them all from the classic 2-inch 12s is the fact that they were built for the then-standard 2 1/2-inch shotshell. They're certainly not something you'd go shoot trap with (as most are thin-tubed, & with even thinner wrists). Where I'd expect they might excel is in the grouse woods where the days are full of walking w/o much shooting. They're all getting pretty old and fragile now (depending on how they've been kept & used) and most have dimensions that won't work for a big lugg like me. But...I've always been fascinated by them.

As I've posted several times, I have a 6# Cashmore, proofed for 2.75" and 3 1/4. Not 2.5". After having one for a while and rather loving it for everything from Grouse to geese, I've noced quite a few more in the 6-6.25# range. They are not as thin walled as you might think, nor that fragile. I fall often since I'm rarely on level ground while grousing, and holes and anthills and tussocks are hard to see in the tall grass of pheasant fields. In any event, you can over emphasize their frailty. I shoot trap with mine every Wednesday that I'm in town from April through October.

Mine is 14 7/8" LOP.

If you want one, they are out there. Just takes a little more hunting.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]