Mike, I appreciate your, and other's, advice here. The catch is taking that advice and figuring out how to apply it. I may not be doing something quite the way the poster does it, and makes it work for them. When I annealed five cases by turning them with my thumb and finger, in the flame, I tried as hard as I could to do the top third of the case. By the time I got what I thought was an acceptable color change the head of the case would begin heating up to the point that I'd have to quickly drop in in a loading block to keep from being burned. This morning I cleaned the 5 cases of the black powder residue in my ultrasonic cleaner, annealed them again, reprimed them, and loaded them with 8 grs. of Longshot, a 1/4 sheet of toilet paper wad, filled the case almost to the top with grits, then used a plug from a styrofoam cup on top. This was the result.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

As all can see the only thing that expanded was the neck, even though I attempted to anneal a good ways below that. It's no fault of anyone's. It's just incomplete results. I'm learning, and I'm making progress. I'm reading all I can and, as you say, figuring it out for myself with the gracious help of yourself and others. Tomorrow morning I will use the cake pan and water method on five cases, heat until reddish, and quench. Then I will load only one with the Bullseye load AGS suggested and see what happens. Tomorrow I will seal the mouth of the case with a plug of 2mm wax I had ordered and that came today.

I'm putting all this on here in the hope that someday someone else can skip the things I have tried that gave incomplete, or inconsistent, results and go straight to a successful procedure. Again, and I really mean this, thanks to all who have taken of their valuable time to offer suggestions and help. What fun!!!

To be continued ........

May God bless America and those who defend her.