June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 457 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,577
Posts546,587
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith,
You are absolutely right with regard to the translation, I just considered both terms as being practically the same. To be cast, it had to be heated to the fluid state and it could not stay in the fluid state and be used as a barrel. The word fluss is also a stream or river. Translation from German to English sometimes is pretty tricky and sometimes the meaning has to be stated without regard to precise translation of specific words or parts of words (Germans are famous for stringing together words to make other words), an example is "einsteklauf", which means insert barrel, but a "machine translation" comes out " one put running". It is sometimes the same from English to German. My translators always had trouble with the word "fix" in specifications, whether it meant to "repair" or to "fasten". This doesn't even include the confusion caused by the differences in American vs British English and German. All that said, I do not present myself as either an expert or a fluent German speaker.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's what Raimey had to say in a long series of posts back in '09 on Krupp barrel steel: "By the early to mid 1890s, quality gun tubes were composed of crucible nickel steel(elastic limit of approx. 62k psi) and Krupp held the secret and the skilled labour to produce it. The crucible nickel steel could be associated with "Fluss Stahl" while the "Guss Stahl" was probably plain ole cast steel with some of the required components for a quality tube but were present by accident only. Sometime near 1903/1904 Special Weapons Grade tubes(Spezial Gewehr Lauf Stahl) were on the scene and for now I suspect chromium or something of that nature had been added to the crucible nickel steel." In reading through a long discussion on barrel steel I wonder if Guss was the original "puddled" steel which was carefully mixed, poured, and hammered into submission by craftsmen and selected samples used for barrels.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another nice rifle Phil, enjoy it in good health!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Phil:

Don't forget to anneal the brass per the PGCA thread. Lt Col RM
280 would be harder to find than 404-IMHO.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just for comparison.Also pictures of die set and the two boxes of shells I found locally. I wont be shooting these shells as of yet. $100 for 10 rounds, but was happy to pay it to get some KYNOCH 333 Ammo.

URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/71004_600x400/][Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just FYI I've fired some of the new Kynoch .333, 300 gr. solids in my Jeffery, over a chrono and got 2200 fps but the bullets were tipping a bit at 100 yds. 300 gr. Woodleigh softs are a little shorter and shoot fine. On checking my barrel it seems to have an 11 twist.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for the info on the Kynoch ammo. i would enjoy seeing a picture of your your Jeffery if you have a chance. Can you also explain tipping?
Thank to one of the generous members of the forum I now have some 404’s to convert to 333.
I also purchased some 200, 250, and 300 grain HAWK bullets.
My plan is to go to the range with a portable press, scale, and chronograph with several powders and see what works.

Sidelock
Sidelock

By tipping I mean not stable, the bullets while still on target leave an oblong hole but not to the point of of a key hole. My rifle is later than yours, I'm not sure if it's pre or post WW2, serial no. is in the 38,000 range. I will take some photos when I get a little time.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you sir

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Made some brass up today. Now looking for some reloading data. Any help is appreciated.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.