KY Jon is completely correct. Most low end guns (under $1k) are not economically viable if looking to break even or better.

I have now imported two pairs and two singles, I still own all as I brought to use not speculate. If I were to sell I would break even on first pair, lose on the next single, make on the the second single gun, and likely lose on the last pair. No regrets, just realistic.

My best success is a 1901 Boss SLE, which required a restock, but had new barrels by Boss in 1979 with Great Wall thickness. I paid a low price and after restocking and other minor gunsmithing, I am $4-8k in equity, however none of that matters, I brought it to shoot it and hopefully hand down. I got very lucky the gun did not draw much interest and not much bidding competition.

My last purchase had no other bidders (big warning sign) add purchase to import cost, putting back on face and refinishing, I am upside down $2k, but I am still happy as I really wanted an actual Irish guns sold in Dublin.

Importation takes 3-9 months, it is frustrating but that is life as it depends on bureaucrats. I have used a fellow board member and have been happy with his service. (PM me for name if you want it)

As KY Jon points out non gun items can be purchased and are more easily, though not inexpensively, shipped. Only go after non gun items which are unavailable in the US and worth a premium to you. I have purchased a fully accessorized Purdey 16ga case, only one like it I have ever seen, and some rare 16ga Purdey items. All cost more than reasonable persons would want to pay by the time I got them.

There are great deals to be found, but for most of us buying them is not an easy thing and the numbers don’t work for us without careful analysis. Buy what you really really want to use, understand the math.

Last edited by old colonel; 03/12/23 11:19 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS