June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Der Ami, Wild Skies, irs, MattH, Argo44), 414 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,596
Posts546,853
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do any of y'all remember the fellow up in Canada, on the Atlantic coast I think, that used very nice English single barrels for goose and duck hunting? He was a member on this board, but has not posted in many years. I fear he is no longer among us. I always loved to see his pictures. Cannot remember his name.

Edit: I just remembered ......... Terry Lubzinski. Vancouver, BC. I miss him.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: campero
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Bentley single hammer gun 12 ga.really light have not used it a lot

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Stan, Terry has a beautiful Reilly 12 ga. SxS SN 303xx which he posted on the Reilly line about 4 years ago. I hope he's still around but people did abandon this site during the "political purge" era.

I started out with a single barrel shotgun. I'm still thinking about how rarely I fire two shots at one bird.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=623061&page=1

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
campero Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you for your answers. Great to know that some of you use single shot guns for hunting. I would like to see pictures because I love single shot guns, shotguns and rifles, and if they have an external hammer, they look even nicer to me. In fact, I wouldn't mind having another one similar to mine in the same bore or 20 gauge, but I can't find it.

My W&E is not a Spanish gun. It was made by Wiggan&Elliott before 1888, when the factory closed. I have scarce information about it and I am sorry, I wish she could talk and tell me about its 150 year history. On the barrel is engraved: MAKERS TO THE ROYAL FAMILY AND THE PACHA OF EGYPT. I have the original stock, but Milady has now one longer and beauty too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I hope to see more of your guns and that will be more of us in this "one shot, one chance" philosophy of hunting.

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
5 members like this: Tim Cartmell, Parabola, BrentD, Prof, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depicted are American wild turkeys shot with a 12 ga. Yildiz TK12 (4.25 lbs.), a .410 Yildiz TK36 (3lbs. 4 oz,) and American Woodcock shot with a Beretta M412 20 ga. (4 lbs., 13 oz.) My shooting partner's gun was not photoed with the doodles.
I prefer single-shots for the wild turkeys but treasure and prefer a second shot on the smaller birds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

6 members like this: John Roberts, Parabola, BrentD, Prof, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis, campero
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by campero
Thank you for your answers. Great to know that some of you use single shot guns for hunting. I would like to see pictures because I love single shot guns, shotguns and rifles, and if they have an external hammer, they look even nicer to me. In fact, I wouldn't mind having another one similar to mine in the same bore or 20 gauge, but I can't find it.

My W&E is not a Spanish gun. It was made by Wiggan&Elliott before 1888, when the factory closed. I have scarce information about it and I am sorry, I wish she could talk and tell me about its 150 year history. On the barrel is engraved: MAKERS TO THE ROYAL FAMILY AND THE PACHA OF EGYPT. I have the original stock, but Milady has now one longer and beauty too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I hope to see more of your guns and that will be more of us in this "one shot, one chance" philosophy of hunting.

Beautiful countryside, camp.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a "new to me" single that is being prepped for next waterfowl season. It is a Sarasqueta Zephyr, Honker model, that is a 10 ga. 3 1/2" magnum with a 36" barrel. It is going to be a dedicated pass shooting, long range duck/goose gun. The original choke had been honed out to .021", which is an absolute travesty, IMO. It is being threaded for interchangeable chokes, to return it's ability to make long range shots. Pics next year, hopefully, after it's "blooded".

2 members like this: John Roberts, campero
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good one, Stan.. Will you use Briley for the choke work? My choice, but I am no expert on that field. I like full chokes in my 12 bore shotguns, to each his own. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope, one of my best friends designed and manufactures CompNChoke and Gobblin Thunder choke tubes, just a short drive from my house. The machine shop there does excellent barrel work as well. They offered me the opportunity to test all their different constrictions, on their pattern plate, with my loads, to determine the "sweet spot", then buy the one I want.

Hard to turn down a deal like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I treated my self at Holts to a 12 bore 2 1/2” nitro re-proofed Edwinson Green single. When I tried it at clays with 28 gram loads it leapt out of my forward hand. It did account in fine style for an oncoming pheasant, probably because the jump intersected the flight path.

As I could not shoot with it I sold it to Malcolm King, and it ended up at Rock Island with much of his collection.

It is now on your side of the pond. I should have tried it with 21 gram loads. Perhaps one of you will get the chance.

Not a problem I had with this little Thomas Patent.410 William Moore and Grey, now in the WMG collection. That is one I certainly should have hung on to.

Last edited by Parabola; 02/19/23 04:15 PM.
2 members like this: campero, BrentD, Prof
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.