My oldest M12is a 12 gauge field grade 28" solid rib mod. choke nickel steel barrel. Then my late Father's first repeating shotgun, a 20 gauge M12 28 inch solid rib mod. choke- given to him on July 17t1931- this has the 2&3/4"" marked chamber and Winchester Proof Steel. Never owned a 16 gauge M12, or for that matter, M97 either. I don't think you can ever wear out a M12, even citing the abuse and neglect some of the other members of the forum detailed in this thread-- Never have owned a M12 with: (Cutts Comp.) , (Poly-Choke) or 32" long barrel. I only own a M12 in the "pipsqueaky" 28 gauge- a 1939 field grade with solid rib 26" barrel mod. choke-- because a buddy owed me some $ on a Super Bowl bet, and he was short of liquid assets. Shot it once, shells are too damn expensive, as compared to the 20 gauge gun I shoot. At present, I have no interest in parting with it, however. When you see all the counterfeited M 12 28 gauges for sale by hucksters and con men now-a-days, a genuine M12 28 gauge is worth hanging on to, as are all "un-boogered up" M12's. If I really wanted one, I'd consider buying the Browning Japanese made version, at least you know that it is not "The Real Mcoy"--

Rarest Model I can think of-- shortly after WRA introduced the 3" Mag "Heavy Duck" gun, in the "Golden era" of the Custom Shop, you could send a std. 12 gauge 2&3/4" chambered field gun back to them and they would re-chamber it for you to take the 3" shell- that, friends and neighbours, is a solid testament to the strength of the M12 action and the metallurgy of the AISI 4140 nickel-chrome-moly alloy forged steel WRA used in that era for "The Perfect Repeater"-- I only have one 12 Gauge M12 I might semi-consider as "rare"-a Pigeon Grade Trap gun made in 1947- 30" barrel with the older style milled rib, duckbilled rib extension, sandblasted receiver top, MC stock with red solid pad, but the "rarity" comes from it being choked Imp. Mod. instead of the usual Full choke. The "Steinway" of repeating Trap shotguns, IMO. Not for sale either. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..