Originally Posted by AZMike
eighbore,
I have a shot many dove with a model 17 and although I don't single shoot it I am familiar with it's function. I owned a trap range/campground and restaurant for 17 years, we threw over 600,000 targets a season. I bought the first sets of voice actuated calls in Arizona in the late 90's. Extra targets thrown by inexperienced calling and ill timed gun noises are a financial "leak" to a gun club.Ted's idea if a target is thrown inadvertantly "just call for another" is wasteful and costs the operator money. When I would see new shooters and specifically pump guns and autos they would get a quick and friendly class on when to close up their actions and don't talk to your buds on the line! New shooters like to "explain" their misses and cuss at the targets, this really confuses the 3 second time delay in the Canterberry calls.

You still haven’t explained all the extra shucking you blamed on one model of pump shotgun.

Last I checked, the cost of a clay bird was about $0.07, when purchased by the full semi load. Most operators are getting $.75-1.00 a bird, and selling a bit of hospitality, beverages and bar food, along with a round. That ain’t much of a leak. I don’t know anybody who I trust with a shotgun to not be able to figure out how to keep an accidental throw from happening after it happens once. It seems like it is usually someone yelling at someone else, over their hearing protection that causes an accidental throw. My guns, auto, pump, or double, don’t set the throwers off at my club. More common, I end up calling for my bird, twice. But, only one field has the things up and running since the high schools started having shooting programs for kids. The family that owns my club is extraordinarily generous to the high school programs, and gives a bunch of kids the opportunity to work at the club to help ease the cost of their sport. A bunch of kids take them up on it, too.

A model 37 (or, a model 17, I own both) is a fine shotgun for clays games and hunting.

Best,
Ted