It’s an interesting question but a rather moot one. The guns which dominate at skeet, trap and clays at nearly every level, including the Olympics, are German (Krieghoff) and Italian (Perazzi and Beretta). I’ve owned each and have my preferences. And I know there are many other fine guns.

Realistically, very few of us truly need guns of that quality for the amateur competition, recreational shooting and hunting we enjoy. But it feels great knowing that I have the best tools available when I’m out there. And I can do that for a price that while expensive, keeps the guns within grasp

The same cannot be said for best British guns or for best American guns. Honestly, I’m not exactly sure what a best American gun is. I guess you could say it’s a high end A-10 American or Galazan best. But if we are talking modern guns, it’s something from CSMC. Most of those guns are well beyond the reach of the vast majority of shooters, as they should be or they wouldn’t be best guns. I’ve had the opportunity to visit both Purdey and H&H. It was a thrill. But the likelihood of ever owning one is extremely low. If I did own a Purdey sporter or a Galazan Boss action gun, would I break more clays or kill more birds than with a Beretta SO, Perazzi or Krieghoff? Probably not. Would I enjoy it anyway? Absolutely!

You max out on functionality at around $10K. The rest is for show. And that’s not a bad thing. I like to show off amazing craftsmanship for its own sake. Is British best craftsmanship better than American best craftsmanship? Probably a little bit really, it doesn’t matter. These are guns well beyond range for the vast majority of shooters and I’m fine with that. I will admire them for the items of beauty they are, and admire the men who created them.