Originally Posted by salopian
Wonko,
No ! my Krieghoffs are Poly factory finish , a bugger to scrape off , and the Krieghoffs are not 'proper' guns that deserve TLC.
Being retired now I rarely do a stock finish or repair , but I must add that in my working career I do know that H&H, Purdey and many of the Italian manufacturers did use Tru -Oil because it was fast , cheap , and hard wearing . BUT it is NOT a true oil finish , call it what you like ,but it is a varnish.
To add I have found that my oil recipe posted on here does dry faster if you use Napthalene or Lighter fuel as a solvent / drier.
My oil finish has and is still being used by many ' BEST' English gunmakers .

AFAIC the only thing "oil" finishes have going for them is an uninformed snob appeal. Older "best" guns that did not have the benefit of modern substantial finishes did have the benefit of copious waxing which overcame the pitiful duability and water permeability of the BLO-based crap.
prolly not JMO

70+ years ago I recall helping my Dad rub-in BLO finishes on some fairly pricey stocks. By the 90's even he had wised up to the scam - an eminently practical man.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription