June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, ithaca1, Roundsworth, journeymen), 546 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,674
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

CC:

Is Mr. Rowe quoted as saying something to the like of: "we are rid of those guns prior to 1947(date?) and you better not work on them because they will come back and bloody well haunt you!!"(while shaking his finger) I heard D. Tate and another other British gunsmith, who had made some of the tools Tate was using, repeat the quote. And I believe they referred to him as Rowe.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 10/01/07 08:15 PM.
ellenbr #58897 10/01/07 08:59 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Murphy, Parker A1spl 410 Max Fleischmann gun now in 'Collection : out west... I have Poor Quality Photo of the stock and "Joe Knapp Oval" No.4 in my'Search! Am looking forward to seeing your "21" sometime.Wonder if there are any Photos of the"P Gun"...No 3 in my 21 year search!!!Wonder if theres a AHFox with the Oval in the stock.....9 days to the Auction.....dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

CC, I did not take pictures of the P gun. I don't understand your last question. I thought the "article" gun was a Super Fox. I guess I know what the Fleischmann gun was/is but I didn't remember it having a JK Club oval. If you can give me an auction reference to the .410, I'll look it up in my files. The oval in the P gun looked like it was installed with a cold chisel and chain saw. I would be interested in the gun, was warned of a heavily worn and stretched self opening mechanism that is expensive to fix. The forend metal is contacting the bottom of the receiver. What is expensive? Murphy

Last edited by eightbore; 10/02/07 09:04 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

BM. the artical gun was my Super Fox with the 1st Knapp Oval that I had seen ,up to that time. Hence the Story about Mr J Knapp. The 2nd J.K oval was your W 21 that Spooner sent me the Info' on. No 3 is the 410b that Spooner discovered, now in Arizona,Private Museum I think.A1spl Parker(.410b)...Not the 12b that Devine sold at auction, Aug 27, 1995. So the "P" that you have seen at the Pintail Point 'Get Together' is, in my records, No 4....They seem tobe 'Popping out of the Proverbial Birthing Channel'on a slowly but 'Shirley' basis..Ehh'heavily worn and stretched S/O Mech.? I think you have described what We JP Gun-Types would call 'Excessive Gape',due to the 'Drop' being beaten constantly by the shoulders on the underside of the Forend Iron. If you look into the area of the action in front of the 'Cross-Pin', there is a small'TiT'(Purdey talk) held in place with a screw. The older Mod had 1 screw, now we use 2 and we make the 'TiT' the full width of the opening giving a better bearing surface. When the Drop is 'Well & Good' You should be able to pass a Feeler Gauge(aprox 0.100") between the 'Lip' of the Forend Knuckle and the bottom of the action.So, when you see a Purdey action with that 'Tell-Tale' gash, the Drops Buggered..5 to 6 hr job to 'Examine Project,Make & install new Drop,Regulate opening, Test Fire gun,Spend 2-3 hrs @ Pub making out Bill for Services Rendered. That totals out to Expensive'....(Of course, certain gunsmiths would Weld....$20.00) cc/dt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

DT, thanks for the info on the .410 Joe Knapp gun. I don't think Spooner has it pictured on his website but I haven't checked lately. By the way, the Devine Max Fleishmann gun is a 20 bore, not a 12. Very nice gun. A 12 bore Fleishmann gun was shown to me at the Vintagers by its present owner. I hadn't seen it in years. It is a 30" C Grade Parker that was outed by a couple of PGCA types at the Nashville NRA show about 1992. The dealer caught on to our interest in the gun, got cold feet and removed the gun from the sale table. My friend returned to purchase the gun and was told it was no longer for sale. I had a few grey hairs of experience at the time, so had a short meeting with the dealer concerning business ethics and he relented and sold it to my friend, who is not the present owner. All's well that ends well. I guess Max had more Parkers than originally thought. Interesting that a duck club membership oval would be installed on the stock of a .410. Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Murphy,Now there is a face to the 'Name"! If I had not had the 'Workload'(Pairs of Guns to be in Scotland, Gun to be in Tenn,for this week-end, et cetera,et cetera,) Would have enjoyed the meeting 'Of the Minds".Salopian sounds like he can 'Belly-up' to the Bar, as well he should..."Gunmaker" has a reputation to up-hold.....Business,I was mistaken about the Joseph P Knapp Gold Oval in Gun No.Four,It is a Parker .410b, but 'Alas&Alac, not aNother A1Special, a Lowly DHE.410b, but it does have the Knapp Cast Gold Oval! So now on the lookout for Oval No5.Would really like to hear that you have obtained the Sr No of the 'P' gun...and a poss. name of the 'Then' Owner..Congrats' to the Vintagers Organization for a Successful !st Shoot at the New Location. Crossedchisles aka DT.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone seen the rifle events results? I'm sure Mal was in good form.

Montana #59581 10/05/07 10:52 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

DT, have you ever seen a JKC oval out of the gun? My story, when asked, is that the oval is a solid gold cylinder that goes within a quarter of an inch of the heel, and is weighed at at least six ounces to balance the heavy barrels on most duck guns. I hope that story doesn't get back to my good buddy who outed the last of the Ruwe guns and sold me the 21 and a few others for pocket change. He was ecstatic that Mrs. Ruwe valued an outrageous Model 21 20 gauge vent rib Trap Grade two barrel set very low, and valued the Knapp gun, a common "Duck" model, twice the price because of "The medallion". She knew what it signified, but my friend never asked her for an explanation. He was in too much of a hurry to write the check. At least we saved her from the estate sale slickos who would have given the guns away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

8bore.aka WM....Have sent email to you with photos..cc/dt

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.