Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
I had a gun with an Anson latch shed the forend once while shooting.

I have had a shotgun with Deeley & Edge style latch shed it's forearm while shooting, but it was obvious there was a need for adjustment. Wouldn't you think the Anson's pushrod spring was weak, or there was some other problem that needed addressing?

SRH

The problem was obvious. When I gripped the gun with a glove on my left hand I actuated the latch unintentionally.

There was nothing wrong with the gun mechanically, there was everything wrong with the design of the latch and forend profile. The button was too big, had deep checkering that made it difficult to avoid, and was just something I was not going to fight with.

I solved the problem by selling the gun.

I've since acquired 2 others with the same latch system. Although I'm now prejudiced against the whole concept of the Anson latch I coexist with these because the buttons are less obtrusive. I've yet to have one drop the forend on me.

It would be better if neither gun had that latch system.

My Rizzini dropped the Anson latch button and shaft on the skeet field where I was VERY lucky to find it. Somebody didn't locktite the Mickey Mouse set screw and the whole shaft backed off several turns and fell out. You would think this impossible but it's not.

B. Rizzini is so in love with Anson, they have them on everything I've seen that they make. You want a Rizzini, you get an Anson latch. Locktite job not included.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble