Knowing that Cyril's guns were being offered into the market gave me a hint that his condition was probably worsening.....
Over a week I made 3 calls, all unanswered, he was in treatment or resting I assume. Last Sunday afternoon, the 27th, I had an unexplained sense that I really needed to speak with him.

I was at the ranch with my gear loaded for a dove shoot with my stepson, and it was an hour too early to get into the field. I grabbed my phone and gave his cell number a ring. To my delight he picked up on the third ring and in a weak voice greeted me warmly. He said he had indeed seen my calls, and many others, but had been feeling too poorly to converse. He said he was having a "better" day that afternoon. I was going to just wish him well and let him get off and rest, but to my delight he dove into a great conversation. Questions about my dove season, had I seen so and so? did he have any birds etc. The talk went into old times, shoots, hunts together, long passed mutual shooting friends, what gun was I shooting? and oh, did I mind if he gave a friend my cell number. Said he thought I knew more about Italian Best Guns than He did ??? So he hoped I could answer some questions for his customer who was contemplating a purchase in Italy.....

It was a great chat and I begged off with telling him that the doves were starting to fly, he told me to shoot some "High ones for Him"...... I had an odd feeling , almost certainty, that it was going to be the last time I would speak with him....

Last edited by mel5141; 10/04/20 10:07 AM. Reason: grammar