June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hoot4570, Ken57, SamW, Little Creek, 1 invisible), 268 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,465
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah that is a long ways. But my offer still stands especially if you shoot a 16 ga. :-) with barrels all twisted up side by side.

My FIL was the rescue coordinator for the NSDRT USA many years ago before he passed away and you would be correct. Most were not pure bred Tollers. A Toller is a hunting and retrieving machine.

The Toller in this picture sitting in an empty 12 pound keg of red dot many years ago, I had wrote 1983 on the keg when I purchased it. That would have been when I took the USS Coral Sea around the world and was flush with cash.

He jumped off a bluff after a grouse I shot at here. Moved "here" after I retired from the Navy and never thought I would up end up in the Upper Midwest. Thought I killed him when I seen him jump off the edge of the bluff and disappear.

Will be honest and my eyes got watery as I poured a cup of coffee and lit up a cigar. And thought of the grouse we shot together in Pa. and NC together. ~15 minutes later I heard sounds on the bluff of rocks sliding and he came up over the lip of the bluff with the bird in his mouth.

Hugged him it was hard to see for some reason. Never did find a pellet in that bird think he just didn't want me think I always hit what I shot at...

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great story. I had one of my goldens go over a rock wall on the U of I campus decades ago. I had the same feeling you did, but the ground slope away really steep and she rolled. She came up limping but not bad. I thought for sure it was curtains. And, I remember my grousing days in Minnesota back in the late 60s and 70s. Those were my first game hunts and my first golden. We were not very good, but we had a hell of a good time. So long ago. But maybe again soon.

I had a 16 until recently with twisted barrels. I sold it this summer. Now I'm in the hunt for another - though slightly crippled momentarily by the crisis with the Greener.

This was my William Evans 16. It lives in Wyoming now.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My hunting partner's old Brittany's hunting life was extended two seasons with the aid of a GPS collar. She was deaf as a post and would get lost in the thick woods we hunted for woodcock. She'd have to see us or scent us to locate us which often took a lot of time. Her bell wasn't enough to find her because of distance muffling the sound. With the collar, we'd go in her direction and we'd often find her holding point on a bird, one time 200 yards deep. She was a great dog. Gil

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, I'm a Dogtra fan, never had any issues with them. Anyway, I'm with Bruce on the 2700. I use mine the same way he does. Use the vibrate for recall and the point only mode for hunting (I have GSP's) The locate feature lets you know were the dog is when you want to know. No constant beeping. Each button has it's own function as Bruce said. I also have their Pathfinder GPS. I have the mini version, light and compact. Very accurate and simple. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but is accurate and lets you know where the dog is. I use the Pathfinder as insurance. That just in case the dog gets a hair up its a** to run or chase something. But also, if she ranes beyond my hearing.

I've used Sport Dog. nothing but problem for me at least. Garmin/Tri-tronics are good, but a bit bulky or limited range (depending on model of course).

Just my 2C.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure if you want to spend the bucks, but the newer Pro 550 Plus will take care of your needs and provides a simplistic easy to use GPS capability which has its usefulness IMO. Worth taking a look.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great foto- are those Stanley planes shown in the cabinet by chance? Bailey models?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Great foto- are those Stanley planes shown in the cabinet by chance? Bailey models?? RWTF

Good eye sir, yes they are. And thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great pic of the toller in the barrel, brother. Constantly amazed by what our dogs will do and survive. LOL

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

CB,
Very true, the dogs love us unconditionally.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, GLS' advice about vibrate vs very low intensity stimulation is good. I can't feel either the 1/2 or the 1 levels on my older TT's, so I'm not worried about it disturbing the dog much (unless maybe you NEVER use electricity on it). But it does work to get their attention. If it came down to a collar that has a very low stimulation option (and most do) but no vibrate vs one that has vibrate but lacks another feature you think is important, I'd go with the collar without vibrate.

My very first TT--back in the Dark Ages--had a buzz that came before the shock. It also had only one level of intensity, and it also had a "buzz only" button. Once they'd been shocked a couple or 3 times, they did react very promptly to just the buzz. But collars with all the intensity levels are so much better these days. And the transmitter no longer looks like Luke Skywalker's light saber with an extendable antenna.

Last edited by L. Brown; 02/06/20 06:56 PM.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.