I also did some research. I looked up the Georgia DNR on the web, and found a listing there of endangered and/or protected species of mammals in the state. There indeed are three species of bats listed. 1. Rafinesque's Big Eared bat (rare), 2. Gray bat (endangered), and 3. Indiana bat (endangered.) In at least a dozen different references, the bat in the area I live near is identified as the "Little Brown Bat," and is not listed as protected.

Now, that alone I think is enough to settle my end of this, I believe, but I went further. The DNR office covering the area of the state where these bats are located is in Macon, Ga. I called there, told the receptionist what I wanted, and I ended up speaking to three different people there, two at once on one of the calls. The three do not agree as to whether the Little Brown bat is protected, two say yes, one says no, and cited the printout I have of section 391-4-10-.090 Protected Species of Plants and Animals (amended)as his evidence. They also say they really don't have an officer in this area on a regular basis, and any enforcement problems would be handled by the local Chief Law Enforcement Officer, which in this case would be the Sheriff. The sheriff has actually been on this site with my son, the owner, inspecting a layout for a firing range. Just a precaution to be certain the local law knows about a shotgun range on the site. He was very appreciative and said he might join us sometimes. Nice guy.

Now, to wrap all this up, if there is some possibility this Little Brown Bat (which everyone agrees is the species) perhaps might be on some protected list, no problem. As I said in my post earlier, but most of you seem to have overlooked, we can alter what we are doing. Consider it stopped. I certainly am not one to knowingly break the law. There's still considerable doubt here, it seems, as to whether or not I am actually breaking the law. When 2 out of 3 officers of the GA DNR say this species is not protected, that is some distance away from being positive, in my estimation. At any rate, we are through, we will do it no more.

No, to the REAL problem here. The behavior of a number of posters here has been absolutely horrible. The name calling and slanderous remarks have been pretty bad. I would go so far as to point out that our friend the reverend doctor is way over the top in turning the first poster in to the Michigan DNR even after being told it was legal to shoot the bats there, that's gotta' be horrible behavior for this bbs. To further bait me with a threat to do the same is no better. Jeff Hren says he has learned it is legal to shoot bats there. He gets turned in anyway as a law breaker??? That's stupid. I have just told you there is disagreement in the GA DNR whether this species is protected or not. Does that matter to the reverend doctor?? Folks this is ridiculous to the extreme. As the above poster says, lighten up for goodness sakes.

I can find entertainment shooting clays from an electric thrower just as easily, and even invite the local sheriff, who would be the one to arrest me, I guess, according to the DNR, if I were to be caught shooting bats. Ha, it's all ridiculous. Let's put this thread to rest now, you guys are amazing. I have lost an enormous amount of respect for more than one of you because of this post. And it all did not amount to a hill of beans. (pardon me, that's a Southern term some of you may not know.)

Bottom Line: I don't know about Jeff Hren, but I am through shooting the ever so cuddley little bats that you all seem to love so much. All you do gooders who pushed this thread to this point need to get your panties out of a wad and just lighten up. This has got to be one of the most absurd posts I have seen or participated in on this bbs. I am through with it as of now, and nobody has prooved me guilty of anything, and I have the DNR agreeing with me.