I'm not "judging" you, Miller. I'm just disagreeing with your statement that 1 1/8 oz. and 1 1/4 oz. loads are "suitable" quail loads.

In practice the heavy loads will damage meat worse than lighter loads. There is central thickening in every pattern I have ever shot, and I've patterned many in my life. All patterns are denser in the center.

I hope you are not inferring that I think I am a "better sportsman"' than you or anybody else because I know that a .410 can be entirely adequate for quail or doves. This has nothing to do with personalities, but everything to do with experience. There are a whole lot of ways to use a bigger gun than a .410 without going to a 10. But, if you feel a 10 is "suitable" for quail, fine. Enjoy the bloodshot meat from a quail shot with 1 1/4 oz. of shot. And, I know I'm stepping off in to deep water stating this to you, but everything cannot be explained with mathematics. A 1 1/4 oz. load of shot is extreme overkill for a quail, your numbers notwithstanding.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.