Originally Posted By: mark
Woodreaux, If you doing a new stock or a total refinish and starting with a bare sanded uo stock. Wet sand with 150 and TL till the TL and wood dust makes a slurry. Rub the slurry into the wood then wipe off excess with a paper towel. Stay away from checkering, if finish or slurry gets in checkering scrub it out with a tooth brush. Leave it overnight. Repeat with 220 grit. Leave overnight. From here on it depends what you are trying to accomplish . If 220 is appropriate for the gun and the level of fill looks correct your done filling. If not continue until you have it where you want. if I want to stain I do it now with a spirit stain. Then top coat with TL. I apply with fingers and hands spreading it even and thin. Let sit over night. Repeat until you are happy. After the 1st top coat what you see when applying is what it will look like when it drys. A Field grade gun can be done start to finish in 3 to 5 days.

Would you stain the wood first, before rubbing oil in and filling pores? Also what do you mean by "spirit stain"?