Some of you know me, most dont, Ive been doing restorations on vintage Winchesters for 25+ years; Im also an amateur Winchester/antique firearm history researcher, and Current President of the Winchester Arms Collectors Association (WACA).

A couple of years ago, I was asked to do an article on Winchester wood finishes for the Winchester Collector magazine.

Just as Ford and General Motors dont make their own paint, Winchester didnt make its own satins & finishes, but instead purchased them from the XXX Company, a relationship that continued until the late 70s/early 80s.

Somewhere during my research, I was given a copy of Winchesters wood finishing process circa 1903. Im not talking pencil scribbling in a notebook, but step by step process laid out on original Winchester stationary: two coats of XXX Company red brown #2 stain, allow to dry for a day, burnish, apply 1 coat of XXX Company #1 clear sealeretc. Unfortunately, The XXX Company has been bought/sold several times so the original company no longer exists and the exact formulations are lost to time or the dumpster.

Around the same timeframe, I was approached by someone peddling Timberlux finishes, they told me they had used the original formulation that Winchester used, which really got my attention. Then they followed up with some story about getting the recipe from a 90-year-old former Winchester employee who used to make the finish at the Winchester factory. My faith quickly faded.

Now Keith brought up Watco Danish Oil, The Winchester custom shop used to use that for customers who requested a hand rubbed oil finish on their Custom Shop Model 70s, and 21s.

There are a lot of finishes that wont turn white when exposed to the elements: I really like Dailys wood finishes https://www.dalyswoodfinishes.com/

You may want to take a look at their SeaFin Teak Oil, SeaFin Ship'n Shore Sealer, and BenMatte Danish Tung Oil, all are made for marine environments, which is pretty harsh.

I use the teak oil and SeaFin Ship'n Shore Sealer on my boat, Seems to protect better than anything else Ive found, so Ive adapted them for gunstocks.

Respectfully

Mike