"I'm not an autoloader guy. On a skeet field with an 1100 what's the proper/safest loading for doubles?"
Yes, the question deals with loading for doubles on a skeet field. It also deals with loading a Remington 1100.
However, Yeti states he is not an autoloader guy, and asks for the proper/SAFEST way to load for doubles.
Most teachers would likely advise loading the first shell into the action and sending the action forward, chambering the shell. Then the second shell is inserted into the magazine. For a shooter who is "not an autoloader guy" getting that round into the mag can be difficult until he becomes practiced at it. With an 1100 on the line, I've seen fumbling and bumbling and dropped shells when trying to load the mag. When the newbie Rem 1100 shooter bent over to pick up the shell several of us moved quickly away from the "no longer pointing downrange muzzle". I suspect I'm not the only one who has seen this event on a skeet range. Haven't seen it recently as the Rem 1100 seems to have been replaced by O/Us on the skeet range these days.
The fact that most autoloader shooters on a skeet field don't engage the safety first just means they are practiced and experienced shooters who have established a routine and know their gun. For those that don't, applying the safety first is the "safest" method of loading for doubles.
Even for THOSE THAT DO, applying the safety first is still the safest way loading for doubles. (IMHO).