Attempted to edit the above post. That didn't work, so adding more information here:

Back in 2010, I did a two part article for Pointing Dog Journal on the potential impact of a ban or additional restrictions on lead shot. One of the issues I addressed was how many shotguns--"modern" as well as vintage--would be impacted. I quoted the Browning guidance, which at that time focused on their Belgian-made guns. And, when it came to the danger posed by shooting steel, the warning was limited to a discussion of ring bulges.

I'm sure that if their guidance at that time had included Miroku-made guns as being inappropriate for steel, I would have included it--because it would have reinforced my point that a lead shot ban or additional restrictions wouldn't impact just vintage guns.

And their current warning also goes well beyond the ring bulge issue. They now talk about greater potential damage to the gun, and possible injury to the shooter. I don't know why that change was made. But my guess would be that perhaps just a single incident involving more serious damage to the gun and possibly the shooter has caused Browning's lawyers to err on the side of caution and add more guns to those in which they state steel should not be used.

Last edited by L. Brown; 10/25/19 08:40 AM.